• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

"The Trial Chair" (short story)

sirmyk

Below is the start of a short story I've been playing with while finishing the first draft of my next novel. It's called "The Trial Chair". A friend of mine asked me to write him a short story, so here's the start of its first draft. I'll post more when more develops. Please, let me know your thoughts.

THE TRIAL CHAIR

1​

He woke in blackness. A cold room. Bare toes wiggled against linoleum or tile flooring. Fingers attempted to crawl like stubby caterpillars against arms of a wooden chair. Charles Pierce’s first thought: constrained. His second thought: naked.

Some sort of tape held him to the chair: around his neck, waist, arms and legs. It covered his burning eyes. It held together--in an uncomfortable mess--his nether regions. He felt patches of tape over various other places. It made him itch, if only he could scratch there, and there, and even there. Where the **** am I?

Charles’ left eye worried him the most, given that the abrasive tape held his eye open by an eyelash or two. The ability to simply close it would relieve most of the annoyance, not to mention allow the tears welling up to take course down his cheek. Another itchy place. Another cold place. Yet, he felt wells of sweat forming on his chest, lower back, and under his scrotum, despite the cold room that held him prisoner.

A prisoner? I must be. Who would do this? Not a name came to mind.

Charles tried to yell out. Only a muffled hum escaped the tape covering his mouth. He tried turning his head to no use. The damned tape. A muted cry escaped as he gave his legs a try. The chair was by far too heavy to budge. Rocking did nothing but produce squeaks, the chair either nailed or bolted to the floor. His arms ached. His face strained. His balls itched. The tape holding his feet to the floor pulled at the hairs on his toes.

The sound of a light switch interrupted his efforts. Blackness became hazy-dark redness. Someone else was in the room. And had been for all of his struggles. Charles thought of screaming out, but decided not to. Instead, he focused on the hazy-dark redness. Silence followed. Sensing this other in the room, he attempted to find this person through one open eye glossed in tears, and another sealed shut. Silence. His body trembled beneath the constraints.

He felt the presence take a step forward. His obscured vision darkened. Another step forward. Darker. And another. Warm, quiet breath met his nose, causing Charles Pierce to let out another pathetic, muffled scream. “Mmmph,” is how it sounded. He screamed again and tried to move, to loosen the tape, to head-butt the all-too-close stranger at his face. A worthless attempt.

Charles Pierce shook. Uncontrollably. Sweat trailed down his back and pooled at the tape around his waist. Beads fell from his forehead, gathered on his arms and legs. Perspiration filled the room.

Then, the darkness once again turned hazy-dark, this stranger no longer inches away. Still, only silence from the room as the presence moved behind him.

When will I wake up from this nightmare?

And the tape was ripped from his face. Unbelievable brightness took the room. Horrendous pain took his face. Along with the tape came most of his eyebrows, his left eyelid, and a majority of the soft skin connected to it. Blood poured out from his eye, burning hot down his face, down his torso. Immobile, all Charles could do was take the pain with a halted yelp of agony. He shook.

The room turned black. He passed out. White again, as he quickly came to.

Deep into the socket the eye burned, as if singed with the tip of a branding iron. Soon the room came into focus, a small room, no larger than most bathrooms. No windows. No doors he could see. Completely white. The walls, the ceiling, the polished tile floor, all glistened white. The bastard who had torn his eye open stood behind. This man’s shadow loomed over him like a specter, angled awkward from the source of light behind them both.

Looking down, Charles saw the chair, and he strapped to it. Indeed naked without the tape. Duct tape. Half of the used roll lay on the floor. Just as he felt, the familiar silver-grey tape bound his arms, legs, waist and feet to this enormous chair. He guessed the seat weighed close to three hundred pounds by the look of it, like a stripped down electric chair from long ago. Wooden. Mammoth, as if constructed for giants. Strips of the tape covered a majority of his body. Mimics of oddly placed bandages. He couldn’t discern the condition of his crotch--for he was unable to peer low enough--but he imagined himself in a Speedoesque pair of duct tape underwear. The wetness he felt was either sweat, or urine.

As Charles blinked his remaining eyelid, the shadow on the floor moved. Without sound, this stranger circled around Charles and appeared before him, dressed in white, nearly camouflage with the rest of the room. This blurry man slowly came into focus. But not quite.

Charles’ next thought: this man is a medical doctor, with his bald head and white apparel. Charles’ next thought: this man has no face. It was either the blurred vision, or this man truly had no face.

His captor leaned in closer, pulled gently on the edge of the duct tape bandage affixed to Charles’ right forearm, just enough so to imply his intentions. Charles looked from his own clenched fist to the faceless doctor, and could only await the pain he knew was coming. Charles grit his jaw shut.

The doctor let go, took a step back.

Charles eased, shook like a scared child.

The doctor stepped forward, tilted his head a bit, and nabbed the edge of another silver piece of tape, this one on his thigh.

Charles hid fear by pretending not to tense. By not clenching his fist. Inside, he was scared to death of this man. Scared of his invulnerability.

The doctor worked the edges of the tape more, testing for a reaction. And yanked.

Charles screamed into the tape.

The doctor waited for Charles to calm down before yanking another piece from his arm.

Again, Charles screamed, writhing against the constraints. Sweat and tears were indistinguishable from each other, as fire burned at his thigh, at his forearm, at his de-skinned left eye socket. The wounds throbbed, synchronous to the rapid beating of his heart. “I’m gonna punch my fist through your fucking face when I get out of this!” Murmurs is all he produced.

The doctor stepped back to watch, folding his arms, almost reverently. When he next stepped forward, the faceless strange, one by one, removed quite violently the rest of the bandage like pieces of duct tape covering Charles Pierce’s body. Those along the backs of his toes. Those on his sweaty cheeks. Those on his chest. Finally, those covering his nether regions. With each piece, Charles writhed in pain, swearing illegible curses, until the pain became too unbearable for he to remain conscious.

Charles fell into the blackness.

Sometime later--one eye closed, the other forced open and blinded with blood--Charles heard and felt his captor affixing new straps of tape to his body, covering him whole. Last, he heard the light switch off.

[ to be continued... ]

THE TRIAL CHAIR (continued)

2​

Charles’ first thought as he woke in the chair: my feet are on fire. He felt heat rising upward from his ankles, up to his calves, as if his feet were, too, waking up. This same heat ran along his forearms and up to his shoulders.

My hands are on fire: his second thought.

His third? I’m at home, napping in my recliner, my body numb, slowly defrosting from sleep, drunk perhaps, hung-over perhaps, dreaming the horrible dreams of an alcoholic after falling off the wagon once again; but why is everything still black?

If he were able to move a hand, he’d be unable to see it inches from his face. It was then he realized he was still in the chair. That mammoth, wooden beast of a chair.

As the numbness at his hands and feet subsided, pain filled its place. Pain and an awareness of immobility. Again, toes wiggled. Fingers crawled. But that was pretty much it. The rest of his body stuck to the chair.

Not by tape, he noticed, for he couldn’t feel the abrasive binding like before. His head he could move freely, and that was it. Naked... The room, cold like before. The same room. The same damn chair. Maybe even the same faceless--

“My eyelid’s back,” he said aloud, merely because it was such an odd realization. His voice echoed, giving an approximation of the room size. The same white room.

A jolt of immense pressure pushed at his shoulders, and then at his knees. Charles jerked--his head anyway--and clenched both fists, which for some reason curled upward to the ceiling. He could rotate his wrists slightly; doing so shot electricity up his arms.

The coppery smell of blood hovered in the room, as well as hints of solvents and other pine-scented cleaning liquids.

More of the numbness wore off. Just above his knees, like they had been smashed by a sledgehammer. Each of his toes beat a pulse. As did his shoulders and wrists. Only pain followed his failed attempts to move in the chair. His heart rate pounded. The throbs where he hurt pounded. Everything Charles did to relax, only made it worse.

For a moment, Charles stopped moving, breathed in and out. The black room swallowed him. He listened, but heard only his own rapid breath.

“What the **** do you want with me?” Charles yelled.

Silence.

He knew at any second he’d pass out. Soon it would become unbearable for any conscious mind to handle, and he’d pass out and forget it all. Shoulders. Thighs. Arms. Wrists. Each toe. Lightheadedness was already taking him away from this bad place.

The room spun.

The pain: excruciating, piercing, everywhere.

Charles violently churned an amount of bile from his throat. His quadriplegic state caused this mess to waterfall down his chin and onto his lap.

He awaited the madness to replace him back into reality. Back with his wife. His kids. His life.

It wasn’t the madness switching off, but the only light in the room switching on, that brought Charles back into reality. The room filled with blinding white once again. Slowly into focus came the real horror.

Metal stakes were nailed through his wrists and into the arms of the chair. Charles could only think of railroad ties as he waved to himself with the fingers on his left hand. Similar stakes were driven into the flesh above his knees, near the edge of his seat. Each shoulder housed the head of two more. The word clavicle came to mind. Before glancing down, Charles said a short prayer under his breath, and was relieved not to find a nine inch nail protruding from his genitalia. Further down, he found more trouble, as 17-penny nails pinned each of his ten toes to floor.

Next to his feet were two hammers: a sledge, and a claw.

Blood painted the room a splattered red. Even the ceiling contained sprays. Around the base of the chair and the hammers pooled most of the gore.

“What do you want from me!” Charles repeated. “What do you want, you sick ****!”

Nothing but silence from the room.

[ to be continued... ]

I think it is interesting so far. I'm interested to see where this goes and who the faceless man is. I hope he's something interesting because faceless villians can be a tad cliche. So, is your friend named Charles Pierce? Or is he a made up character? I think if I was writing a horror story for someone I would make it about them.

Here are a few, very small, things I noticed:

1) Charles vs Charles Pierce. I don't like how for a couple lines midway through the firs part you revert back to Charles Pierce. It is OK if you want to call your character that throughout the story, but it feels inconsistant the way you have it now.

2) First thought: constrained. I think constraint would fit there better. You character is constrained, but he is feeling constraint.

3) The eyelid thing. I think you need a tad more detail here. I don't mean that you need to really get into the gorey aspects, but that you need to elaborate on how it feels. Yes, having duct tape ripped off your body hurts, but it is a flashing pain. Having your eyelid ripped off is going to be painful for an extended period. He's got blood dripping into his eye and drying in his eye. He can't blink!

mehastings said:
I'm interested to see where this goes and who the faceless man is. I hope he's something interesting because faceless villians can be a tad cliche.
I normally try to avoid cliche, so I'm sure this character will grow into something more villain as the story progresses.

So, is your friend named Charles Pierce? Or is he a made up character? I think if I was writing a horror story for someone I would make it about them.
His last name is Price... subtle change.

1) Charles vs Charles Pierce. I don't like how for a couple lines midway through the firs part you revert back to Charles Pierce. It is OK if you want to call your character that throughout the story, but it feels inconsistant the way you have it now.
Do you think I should keep the full name at the beginning, and revert to only his first name throughout most of the rest? After reading over again, it does sound strange calling him by his full name later in the story, and not in other places.

2) First thought: constrained. I think constraint would fit there better. You character is constrained, but he is feeling constraint.
I was actually toying with this a bit. He is feeling constraint, but he is thinking constrained, because he is constrained. But, if this were truly his first thought, contraint would fit better. I have my red pen out already.

3) The eyelid thing. I think you need a tad more detail here. I don't mean that you need to really get into the gorey aspects, but that you need to elaborate on how it feels. Yes, having duct tape ripped off your body hurts, but it is a flashing pain. Having your eyelid ripped off is going to be painful for an extended period. He's got blood dripping into his eye and drying in his eye. He can't blink!
True. I need to keep my descriptions of the initial pain short and concise, like the "flashing pain" he is feeling, but I should also describe the constaint agony Chucky's feeling in his eye, throughout to the end of that section.

Thanks for the help.

sirmyk said:
Do you think I should keep the full name at the beginning, and revert to only his first name throughout most of the rest? After reading over again, it does sound strange calling him by his full name later in the story, and not in other places.

Thanks for the help.

Yes, I think that would work well. The slight change on your buddy's name is a nice touch, so you'll want to mention it in the begining. After that, either just first name or both first and last all the time. I suppose you could use both names at the start of each section if they are truly going to be chapters.

You're welcome.

Mehastings,

Is there anything specific you'd like to happen to poor Charles Pierce as he's sitting helpless in his trial chair? So far, both sections came from the ideas of others. I'm taking suggestions.

Very creepy, reminded me of the movie Saw. That's it really, i haven't got anything useful to add.:D

Gem said:
Very creepy, reminded me of the movie Saw. That's it really, i haven't got anything useful to add.:D
So you saw Saw? I saw Saw and Saw II. Did you see Saw II, too?

sirmyk said:
Mehastings,

Is there anything specific you'd like to happen to poor Charles Pierce as he's sitting helpless in his trial chair? So far, both sections came from the ideas of others. I'm taking suggestions.

Hm...not really. I don't often read scary books or stories, so I'm not up on horror movie torture methods. You seem to be doing well already.

There's always bugs, rats or snakes. Those are probably over done though.

The Trial Chair (continued)

3​

The perfect martini. His third. Charles takes it down in a single tilt back with his head. It burns his throat, like swallowing lava. It burns away his day at work, his wife, his kids, their persistence at ruining his life. The drink kills his asshole boss, his asswipe coworkers, his endless cups of coffee that taste like ass, and even the wondrously fine ass of the receptionist at the front desk. Her name, either Heather or Heidi; the next perfect martini removes it from his mind. A friend a while back taught him how to make the perfect martini: pour vodka into a glass. Voila. He makes himself another, the bottle half gone. This one, he hopes, will erase it all.

[ to be continued... ]

4​

The stranger, dressed in white, picked the claw hammer from the floor after hesitating over the sledge.

Charles could see everything clearly, his eyes not watery as before, his vision unobstructed from the abuse he experienced with the duct tape.

The doctor indeed wore white, with not a drop of Charles’ blood on his clothing. A smooth, white face--as white as the room around him--looked away, at the mess.

At first, Charles suspected the man had no face, as if skin had been pulled tight where facial features should reside. Now, Charles found this man’s face a shiny white. Smooth like glass. He watched as his captor glanced to the floor, his face reflecting red gore. A reflective face, it seemed.

The reflection changed to Charles on the chair. Red everywhere. Nails stuck from Charles’ toes, rails from his wrists, shoulders, above the knees. Crucified to a chair. For a moment, Charles thought of church as he last remembered it, but with a chairsufix hanging above the pulpit, with Jesus Christ nailed to it... a handicapped savior.

A claw hammer swinging through the air freed him from this day-mare, and brought him back to another. The claw end buried into his left knee, about an inch deep. Charles felt his kneecap break in two. His leg tried to react and shoot out, but the nails in his toes kept him in place, five holes tearing wider.

Blood gushed from the knee and shot out in an arc, onto his captor’s mirrored face, and down his white apparel. He still held the hammer by the handle, tried to pry it loose, but it stuck.

Charles passed out, but quickly came to. The pain was unlike anything he’d felt before. Somehow, his body kept fighting to stay alive, as if wanting him to feel the pain, instead of simply fainting and blacking it out.

“Someone help me!” Charles yelled. He could swear at his captor, call him any sort of foul name, but what would that accomplish? A reservation for further sufferings? More torture? Enough pain to die? “**** you!” He gave it a try.

The faceless stranger responded by kicking free the claw hammer. It landed across the room with chunks of shattered bone and torn flesh. Another red stripe painted the sick doctor. Pain danced Charles’ leg, to the beat of the blood pumping from the jagged hole in his knee.

[ to be continued... ]

"He woke in blackness. A cold room. Bare toes wiggled against linoleum or tile flooring. Fingers attempted to crawl like stubby caterpillars against arms of a wooden chair. Charles Pierce’s first thought: constrained. His second thought: naked."

You're getting better. To get even bettter, I'd recommend paying even more attention to detail.

It's black. Can he see anything? If not, how does he know it's a room? It could be a cave. How cold? "Linoluem or tile" does it really matter? Maybe feeling water, or dirt, or a warm, sticky liquid under his toes would be scarier. If he senses the blackness, and the cold and the floor and the chair, his next thought isn't really his first thought, is it?

Was he drugged? If so, shouldn't he have some kind of "hangover" or at least some mental sluggishness?

"Some sort of tape held him to the chair:"

How does he know it's tape? (I suppose the narrator could know, but in my opinion, it's scarier if told tightly from Charles' point of view.)

"It covered his burning eyes. "

It sounds like he can't see. If so, how does he know all of the things above?

"It held together--in an uncomfortable mess--his nether regions."

Can you improve on the words "nether regions?" For that matter, if someone taped your balls to a chair, would you describe it as "uncomfortable?" Would your next thought be that your inability to close your eye was an "annoyance?" Or would you be furious that someone had taped your balls to a chair?

Lastly, the fact that one of his eyes is open, contradicts "It covered his burning eyes. "

You're on the right track: open with details that create suspense and horror. Better details would make it more suspenseful, more horrific and more realistic. Realism is very important. Good writers sound like they are reporting, not creating.

:cool: This is the type of discussion I wanted to incite, since it seems to be the only way of settling in on the details for such a gruesome story(without actually having someone kidnap me in the middle of the night and do the same to me).

Doug Johnson said:
It's black. Can he see anything? If not, how does he know it's a room? "Linoluem or tile" does it really matter?
Funny you should mention one right after the other. I assumed Charles understood it to be a room because of the floor he felt underneath his feet. But since I assumed, maybe Charles should also assume (or I should at least mention he assumed). It really doesn't matter what type of flooring, but, since Charles' feet were immobile, I again assumed Charles would guess it as either linoleum or tile. A cave floor, asphalt, or even concrete, would be easy to discern (to me at least).

Was he drugged? If so, shouldn't he have some kind of "hangover" or at least some mental sluggishness?
Not where this story's going.

"Some sort of tape held him to the chair:"
How does he know it's tape? (I suppose the narrator could know, but in my opinion, it's scarier if told tightly from Charles' point of view.)
He's naked, so again I assumed he'd know what tape felt like against his skin.

It sounds like he can't see. If so, how does he know all of the things above?
I tried going with sense over sight. I guess I need to work on that.

Can you improve on the words "nether regions?" For that matter, if someone taped your balls to a chair, would you describe it as "uncomfortable?"
My wife asked me the same thing. Help me find a better term, please... (besides balls, I think I used that too much already). I guess I could use "itchy", but other than that, "uncomfortable" was the only way I found to describe it.

Would your next thought be that your inability to close your eye was an "annoyance?" Or would you be furious that someone had taped your balls to a chair?
Good question. I'm an eye freak, so anything obstructing my vision would take priority. Although, duct tape on one's sack is a tough contender. Maybe I should try duct-taping my... nope.

Lastly, the fact that one of his eyes is open, contradicts "It covered his burning eyes. "
Oops. Eye. Singular. I guess only the one would hurt, the other just covered.

You're on the right track: open with details that create suspense and horror. Better details would make it more suspenseful, more horrific and more realistic. Realism is very important. Good writers sound like they are reporting, not creating.
Thanks for all of the help. That's why this is a work in progress, the reason I posted it here for all of you to tear apart. This is only the first draft. Many to go.

Please, everyone, feel free to hack away at it. Puns "horribly" intended.

I'm impressed by your response. You've got some talent and the right attitude. You keep working at it, which is probably more important than anything.

sirmyk said:
(without actually having someone kidnap me in the middle of the night and do the same to me).

Actually, you'll know you're good when people start asking you if you have been kidnapped in the middle of the night, because they think there's no other way you could've gotten the details right.

sirmyk said:
Funny you should mention one right after the other. I assumed Charles understood it to be a room because of the floor he felt underneath his feet.

The word room, comes before floor. So, at the very least, the order needs to be changed. But take the reader on a journey. Put them inside Charles' skin. Make the reader feel, the floor, the cold, Charles' uncertainity. Make them guess what's going on. (It's dark, it's cold. Where is he?) Then, the reader is no longer they are an observer, they are participating. Make them feel like they've been kidnapped, and they'll be horrified.

I really like the story. *begs for more* I haven't been this entirely pulled in by a story since I read The Cask of Amontillado.

I don't know how, but I feel you need both new description and more of it on how the pain feels. You just seem to mention it as if it were just a side dish to the main platter that is your story.

I might come up with a couple ideas for your story. I'll PM you if I get any good ones.

He next reached for the sledge, and stood over Charles, his reflective face revealing the face of Charles staring at himself--a white, drained expression.

“Please stop,” pleased Charles. “I’ll pay you anything; give you anything you want... what do you want?” The last came out in childish sobs.

He just stood there, head tilted.

“I’ll fucking tear you up,” said Charles, his voice cracking.

The sledge swung through the air, pounding the rail in Charles’ right leg level with the bloody rags of skin around it. The head of the rail disappeared into a crimson pool. His femur split down the center, Charles shook. Convulsed. What little of him could move, moved, tearing the gaps in his pierced body wider.

His captor let go of the sledge, its fall breaking one of the few white tiles in two. He grabbed Charles by the face. Squeezed. Forced Charles to calm.

Charles turned his head in an attempt to look away.

Greedy hands pulled him back. “Look at me,” this man demanded.

Charles closed his eyes.

“Look at me.” The same, familiar voice.

Thumbs pressed into his eye sockets until they felt ready to pop. They worked his eyelids, and pressed them up, deep into his head. The stranger nearly on top of him.

“Look at me,” he repeated.

Charles gave in as blood and tears leaked from his eyes. A blurry, unfocused image of himself stared back. A scared man. He watched his reflection beg, “Please, let me go. Whatever I’ve done...”

He could still feel the five toes split to ten on his left foot, the rails in his shoulders worked somewhat free, the rails above his knees--the right still visible; the left buried into his flesh--working their constant pain, and now his eyes as they tried to focus on eyes trying to focus.

“You want free of this?”

Charles watched as the face in front of him nodded. His own.

“From this?” asked the stranger, one of his boots stepping onto the shredded toes before him.

Charles sank a bit into the chair as severed nerve endings jolted his calves, thighs, and all the way up his back. “Eunn,” is all Charles could manage. “****! Please...”

His reflection remained stationary as his captor again tilted his head, as if contemplating.

“Then let us do just that.” It sounded like something Charles would say. Demeaning.

Charles’ face shrank as his captor stepped back, and disappeared altogether as he retrieved the claw hammer from the floor. He returned shortly thereafter and held it in front of him.

Charles, captured in this man’s mirrored face, smiled wanly. “Whatever you want, I can get it. You name it; it’s yours.”

A blood-soaked rag gagged him silent.

“All I want,” this man said, “is to help you get out of this mess.” He crouched low, examining the nails still protruding from the toes on Charles’ right foot.

“This little piggy,” he said, swinging the hammer, claw first. “Well... this little piggy didn’t quite make it now, did he?”

Charles bit hard onto the rag, and screamed a muffled scream. He felt the nail pass through as it was pried from his big toe. He could feel the nerves reaching his neck.

“And this little piggy... kinda looks like roast beef.”

Charles’ eye twitched as the second 17-penny nail was pried from the next toe in line. The room faded, first at the edges of vision, and working to the center. Well, **** all these other piggies, he heard his captor say. He blacked out to the sound of the remaining three nails as they were pounded flush against the floor.

[ to be continued... ]

Wow! Ummm...well, I like how the story's going, but I'm just a bit lost. I don't understand anything about what this man is doing to Charles. Is he prying the nails up from Charles's feet, or is he pounding them down. You say both.

sirmyk said:
Charles' eye twitched as the second 17-peeny nail was pried from the next toe in line.

sirmyk said:
He blacked out to the sound of the remaining three nails as they were pounded flush against the floor.

Vespertilio91 said:
Wow! Ummm...well, I like how the story's going, but I'm just a bit lost. I don't understand anything about what this man is doing to Charles. Is he prying the nails up from Charles's feet, or is he pounding them down. You say both.
Both. First prying... then he gives up and starts pounding them down.

5.​

Little black balloon. A magic portal. A transport away, to quieter places. Places without family, without friends, without worry. This little black balloon, Charles sticks the needle in, fills the syringe to 100mL with clear gelatinous substance. The tubing below his bicep, it helps expose the vein. Charles withdraws the syringe. He pumps his fist closed, open, closed, open, until a tiny mountain range of vein rises above a valley of skin. He sticks the needle deep, pushes the drug, and feels it burn up his arm and into his chest. It burns down his legs, fills his head with hope. His heart beats faster as the drug transports him away from it all. To a dark place.

[ to be continued... ]

Back