• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The turn of the Screw

hobitten

Has anyone read Henry James' The turn of the Screw? And seen the film?

I saw the film first. Didn't get it. Saw it again (I had taped it). Still didn't get it.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Then I found the book on a flee market in Bowness, Cumbria, UK. Read it. Didn't get it. Came back to Denmark, saw the film again. Still didn't get it.

I may be rather thick headed, but still....

Does anyone get it?

:( Hobitten

I have read it but it was ages ago. Is it the one about the governess and the children and the old governess - a bit spooky?

I may be completely wrong but I think the ghosts of the old governess and her lover exert a control over the children and want to keep them from the control of the new governess. The new governess tries to understand and fight this but to little avail.

Someone else may have a completely understanding. It was quite a few years ago that I read it and I haven't seen the film so I hope this helps in a small way.

"Turn of the Screw" is often a story that is hotly debated.

There are generally two schools of thought. The first, that it's a simple ghost story and the governess is trying to protect the children from evil. The second, that it's a psychological thriller and the governess is quite mad (crazy)! Other scholars think that James meant for it to be intentionally ambiguous, i.e. Figure it out for yourselves!

I kind of like the 'crazy' idea. It allows for reading all sorts of theories into it about repressed sexuality, etc. :)

What do you think?

Wow Ell, I had never even thought about the crazy governess theory. Interesting...

It reminds me of the take on Jane Eyre that the Wide Sargasso Sea brings up.

Gee, thanks you guys. :)

It is comforting to know, that there is generally a difference of opinion on that story.

I think I will read once again, and make up my mind to which "school of thought" I belong.

Much obliged...

:D Hobitten

Back