• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Virtues of War

Suhizzle

Hi all, I'm new to The Book Forum, and to start off, I was wondering if anyone has read the new Steven Pressfield book The Virtues of War ? I did a search for it and found nothing on this website, so I thought I'd create a new thread.

I just finished reading it and was simply amazed by the way it was written. It's about Alexander the Great, except it's Historical Fiction, and it's written more as a dialogue between Alexander and one of his Pages. It goes into the mind of Alexander and (to be as accurate as possible), gives the reader some insight into the psyche of Alexander from childhood, to his last days as conqureror of nearly the entire known world. It also teaches what it preaches, virtues learned through war that can be applied to today's world. Things you learn from being in battle and as a commander that have great importance (but I'm pretty sure that has already been answered by Sun Tzu, but still good advice).

So...if you're into warfare/Classical Greece/historical fiction or just want to try something new, check this book out. If you HAVE read it, I have a few questions about it and its accuracy:

1. Is it true that generals would take Pages as lovers? In the book he says that and I'm not sure if he means that they are "LOVERS" lovers, or rather they have a loving bond between them.

2. Does Alexander have more than a friendship with his friend Hephaestion? (in other words did he love him more than just a friend)

3. Do you think if Alexander and his men weren't hampered by their internal conflicts, and pursued their goal to reach the Ocean, that they would have actually accomplished that magnanimous feat? Or would they have been defeated by a better army (i.e. Eastern India/China/Japan)?

-Suhizzle

Hi there,

I haven't read this particular book of Stephen Pressfield's, but I have read Gates of Fire and Tides of War, both of which are really superb.

In Gates of Fire, the Spartan army do take men as lovers and it is an integral part of the story, so it wouldn't surprise me if it were also the case in the book about Alexander.

Mage

During a certain timeperiod greece was very open with homosexuality, but i dont think you can say its usual to take pages as lovers.

As for your last question Alexander was not only smart, but also very lucky and ran into a lot of stupid generals. His phalanx formation (the core of his army) were extremely well equipped to fight cavalry head-on but were vulnerable to other tactics. I'm not an history expert but if i'm not mistaken a lot of the armies he fought charged their cavalry straight at his phalanx only to be slaughtered. Charging with cavalry was seen as glorius at the time i think. A smarter general would figure out a counter to his phalanx. So its very hard to estimate how far he could have gone. He only had to meet another general that could adapt to alexanders tactics.

Back