• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Watchman

GreenKnight

Author's note: the following poem is a collaboration. My elder brother penned the original when he was working as a night watchman on a farm. He gave me a draft to 'tidy up' and I did a bit more to it than anticipated. So the end result you could say is by both of us, though hopefully the spirit of the orginal is still there.

The Watchman

The twilight is descending through the trees at Magpie Farm,
As snow flakes circle earthwards, horses stamp into the warm,
With all the yard a-bustle as they wrestle with each head -
The hussies do the hustle round a mare that won’t be led -
And as the winter’s frozen dark locks down upon them all
A blizzard starts to rattle at the bolts of every stall.

But a home-fire’s burning hot in a peculiar little shack
Where sunk among the memories, rosettes, harnesses and tack
A solitary watchman stokes the flames that flicker bright –
Then, eyes a-twinkle, in she comes, his snowy-haired delight.
She’ll shelter here a while; they share the glowing embers’ heat,
Two hearts from far apart that in a smoky moment meet.
But she is called away to face her journey through the snow,
The watchman sighs, alone again; he has to let her go.

Still through the night he tends the hearth as flakes fall all around
Till at the peep of dawn a silent whiteness wraps the ground.
The watchman warms a horse rug, snuggles deeper, curls up tight,
And by the fading coals pursues his last dream of the night.

A truly delightful poem, GreenKnight. Love the play on words. "yard a-bustle as they wrestle", "hussies do the hussle".

Absolutely wonderful. You and your brother make a great team! :D

Is there a implied metaphor between the lines or am I just seeing things? :)

Thanks a lot. :)

Is there a implied metaphor between the lines or am I just seeing things?

Depends I guess. I certainly saw a lot of nice images in Simon's (my bro's) lines, which I tried to focus on in rewriting it. He wrote it as pure reminiscence I think, but it seemed to have a dreamlike element to it as well.

You and your brother make a great team!

Well, he has what you might call the 'interesting life', while I stay in lots. :rolleyes: A writer probably needs a bit of both...

It looks great, GreenKnight! ^-^ I suppose it is necessary for a writer to have an interesting life and stay in lots...well, I certainly stay in a lot, and I guess I have an interesting life. Mostly because I have such weird friends. (No offense, Vespertilio.)

Anyway, back to the poem. It had some beautiful imagery, and I could see everything almost the instant it was described. Which is great, of course. Can't wait to see more.

ValkyrieRaven88 said:
...and I guess I have an interesting life. Mostly because I have such weird friends. (No offense, Vespertilio.)
If no one was weird, then everyone would be normal. If everyone were normal, everything would be boring. If everything were boring, then everything would be useless. Weird is good.

Imagery is wonderful. I love seeing every little detail sprout from the web page.

Back