• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Thirteen Reasons Why: Heartbreaking!

APBullard

1217100.jpg

Title: Thirteen Reasons Why

Author: Jay Asher

Publisher: Razorbill

ISBN: 1595141715

Pages: 304, Hardcover

Genre: Young Adult

Thirteen Reasons Why was such an eye-opener and such a touching read that it's hard to do it justice in a review like this. I certainly do not hesitate to give it five stars.

In this heart-breaking novel, Hannah sends tapes to thirteen people before committing suicide, leaving her explanations in a way no suicide note could ever do.

I have read several reviews on different sites that claim her reasons were "not good enough" to warrant her committing suicide. Some people also claimed that her story wasn't believable. Everyone handles stressful and traumatic events in different manners. An event that may seem trivial to you, may send another spiraling deep into depression. We all work through stress in our own ways, and we all have our reasons for doing those things. These thirteen reasons were hers.

I found this to be written perfectly, as there was no glamorization, no showcasing of teenage drama. It was realistic, and her suicide itself was simple. It really was a true portrayal of teenage suicide. We go through the story alongside Clay while he is playing Hannah's tapes after her death. The narration goes back and forth between the tapes, and what Clay is doing/feeling. I really found this to be a great way to pace the story and build up the suspense, which is definitely something this story does not lack. I finished it in one setting, as a result.

The novel is woven through with intense, raw emotions, and nothing is lost on the reader. We feel those emotions as a readers, holding hands with both Hannah and Clay as we turn the pages. This story is a prime example of the ripple effect, and I highly recommend it. 5/5 stars

View attachment 11475

Title: Thirteen Reasons Why

Author: Jay Asher

Publisher: Razorbill

ISBN: 1595141715

Pages: 304, Hardcover

Genre: Young Adult

Thirteen Reasons Why was such an eye-opener and such a touching read that it's hard to do it justice in a review like this. I certainly do not hesitate to give it five stars.

In this heart-breaking novel, Hannah sends tapes to thirteen people before committing suicide, leaving her explanations in a way no suicide note could ever do.

I have read several reviews on different sites that claim her reasons were "not good enough" to warrant her committing suicide. Some people also claimed that her story wasn't believable. Everyone handles stressful and traumatic events in different manners. An event that may seem trivial to you, may send another spiraling deep into depression. We all work through stress in our own ways, and we all have our reasons for doing those things. These thirteen reasons were hers.

I found this to be written perfectly, as there was no glamorization, no showcasing of teenage drama. It was realistic, and her suicide itself was simple. It really was a true portrayal of teenage suicide. We go through the story alongside Clay while he is playing Hannah's tapes after her death. The narration goes back and forth between the tapes, and what Clay is doing/feeling. I really found this to be a great way to pace the story and build up the suspense, which is definitely something this story does not lack. I finished it in one setting, as a result.

The novel is woven through with intense, raw emotions, and nothing is lost on the reader. We feel those emotions as a readers, holding hands with both Hannah and Clay as we turn the pages. This story is a prime example of the ripple effect, and I highly recommend it. 5/5 stars

Interesting review! I'm going to add this to my 'to read' list

Back