• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Thomas Pynchon: Gravity's Rainbow

Irene Wilde

I'm back from the Zone, having finished "Gravity's Rainbow," Thomas Pynchon's kaleidscopic take on just about everything and everyone, posing as a WWII story. It took a long time to finish, since full-time Working Mom has limited time to devote to reading, and Pynchon, while not demanding his reader's attention, expects you to keep up or he'll leave you behind.

An exhilarating, thought-provoking, sometimes wistful, sometimes laugh-out-loud funny read.

Now my brain gets to quietly vacation back in HenryMillerLand for a few weeks, but its very glad it made the trip through the Zone.

Irene Wilde

Ah yes, Gravity's Rainbow - I've had my eye on that ever since I read and loved the comparable Cryptonomicon.

So, you'd recommend it?

Cheers, Martin

Martin said:
Ah yes, Gravity's Rainbow - I've had my eye on that ever since I read and loved the comparable Cryptonomicon.

So, you'd recommend it?

Cheers, Martin

I'd absolutely recommend it to anyone with an open mind who appreciates a challenging read by an imaginative author who's creative vision takes in the whole of human experience from the most innocent to the most depraved. If your world view and moral code limit you to rigidly defined ideas about what's acceptable to read about or write about, then pass on it and find something that isn't going to challenge your comfort zone.

Irene Wilde

I think I'm going to have to get my Ritalin prescription refilled to finish this book. So far, the style does not go well with my ADHD mind.

I think I'm going to have to get my Ritalin prescription refilled to finish this book. So far, the style does not go well with my ADHD mind.
LOL. I would have thought the ADHD would help in this case, It's quite the wild ride, isn't it? I'm a little over half-way and find I'm slowing down to savour it - something I do with books I like. At this rate, I may finish by the summer - but I am enjoying every bit of it.

(GR makes Mrs. Dalloway a piece o' cake.)

Back