• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Thomas Pynchon

Still reading Bleeding Edge. Page 68 now and still determined to finish. Laugh-meter still hasn't come off the pin and it still feels like slogging along, digging a trench one foot wide and one foot deep with no end in sight. But I am still determined to finish. As if "who cares?"

But, Direstraits, éclair, and anyone else, there are an enormous number of rave reviews, so there should be a good chance you will enjoy it.

So, enjoy :)

^Peder, I have read it. Though I didn't think it matches up to his previous work, it was far from the painful experience you appear to be having. Is it just a disconnect with the humour or is something else making it a slog?

^Peder, I have read it. Though I didn't think it matches up to his previous work, it was far from the painful experience you appear to be having. Is it just a disconnect with the humour or is something else making it a slog?

Éclair, exactly that is what I am trying to make up my mind about. And I'm going to finish the book before offering an opinion, if then. But, on a different forum I have seen a quote with a style I really like. So there may still be hope. :) I hope so.

Thanks for asking
Sincerely
Peder

Last edited:
Can't find it yet! The couple of bookstores I went to didn't have it. I picked up Ocean at the End of the Lane by Gaiman instead and now loving it instead.

Éclair, I sincerely wish to thank you for your insightful and thought-provoking question. It raised exactly the kind of question I was determined to get to the root of, by reading the book to the end. Unfortunately I have now reached page 150 and, despite my sincerest intentions, I am throwing in the towel. Pynchon has defeated me again. :(

Yes, the humor is not my kind; that has been obvious to me for a long time, as I have attempted his previous books, and I won't belabor the point by going into detail.

But, now, the simplest way I can put my discontent, to answer your question directly, is to say that: for me, there is just too much uninteresting sludge in between plot points.

Maybe someday I'll get back to it, but for now there are more interesting books to read.

Nothing personal,
Just me,
Peder

His humour in this one is comparatively tame. In previous works he veers even more to Rabelaism. In my experience of him, plot points are always secondary. The 'sludge' in between is the gold. I suppose, to use an oft-repeated cliché, one man's trash is another's treasure.

Connections can't be forced. You've given it a shot, so onto other books. It's all good.

His humour in this one is comparatively tame. In previous works he veers even more to Rabelaism. In my experience of him, plot points are always secondary. The 'sludge' in between is the gold. I suppose, to use an oft-repeated cliché, one man's trash is another's treasure.

Connections can't be forced. You've given it a shot, so onto other books. It's all good.

Many thanks, Éclair, for clarifying Pynchon's style for me. I now feel that I have given the book a fair try and, with good conscience, can move it to the Abandoned pile.

Thanks sincerely,
Peder
:)

Back