• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Thought provoking question

Libre

My thread about IS TIME REAL may have been a bit on the metaphysical side for many of you. So now, I have a real DOWN-TO-EARTH type question.

I've thought about this for years, and I believe I have the answer. The EXACT answer.

Here's the question:
What is the exact weight of the earth, in pounds, with everything in it and on it included?

You mean, with my shoes on, or off?

(Ha Ha, just kidding, Aw, give us another chance)

I think I want to check out your question on Time. I like the metaphysical.

One of my my big hang ups for years is Revelation 10:6 where it says, literally, in the Greek, "And time shall be no longer." Though modern translations render it, "There shall be no more delay."

Does time stop in a black hole?

One plupillion,, three hundred twenty-four thousand gazillion, five hundred seventy-two kajillion, and change pounds.

A better question would be, what's holding the Earth up in orbit? ;)

Miss Shelf said:
One plupillion,, three hundred twenty-four thousand gazillion, five hundred seventy-two kajillion, and change pounds.

A better question would be, what's holding the Earth up in orbit? ;)

Everyone knows the earth is on the back of a very large tortoise!

I believe that my answer is not only correct, but more important, provable. Not with a scale (of course) but with logic.
Miss Shelf, you actually have come closest - but not with the gazillion........ answer. It was something else you said.

One other thing, there is something about the phrasing of the question that should be a big hint.

Libre,
I like about maybe several plupillion pounds, or kilos whichever is larger. :rolleyes:
But I am also interested in a question I have never thought of.
I weigh because that is the force of Earth's gravitation (or mass) on my mass.
The outer, say, one foot of the Earth's mantle weighs, presumably, because of the force of gravity on it of all of the Earth's mass below it.
And the next one foot down feels the force of all the earth's mass below that.
And so on.
And so there is a total (if finite).
Is that what you mean by the question.?
In which case, 1.534 plupillion, exactly (and you pick the units). :cool:
Peder

Doug Johnson said:
I'll say O, because it is orbiting in space and an astronaut orbiting in space is weightless.

I agree. Weight (unlike mass) depends on gravity.
Because there is no gravity in space there is no weight OF the earth.

Doug Johnson said:
I'll say O, because it is orbiting in space and an astronaut orbiting in space is weightless.

We must carefully distinguish between the everyday notion of weight, which involves gravity, and the concept in Physics of mass.

Miss Shelf said:
yes, but what is the tortoise standing on?

My wife sometimes listens to a corny Gospel song with a refrain of "Standing, standing, standing on the promises ...."

So, I say the tortoise stands upon promises. And since reason abhors an infinite regress in axiomatic systems, therefore I declare the tortoise promises as axiomatic. - Q.E.D.

Exactly.
The answer is 0.000...0
Mass is a measure of the quantity of matter in an object.
Weight is the gravitational attraction between an object and the Earth, and also, the Earth and that object.
So, with the Earth as a frame of reference, the weight of the Earth is 0.
You would be weightless in space, and so is the Earth. Your mass would not change though.
The question, what is the MASS of the earth, in METRIC TONS is a very different question.
I have no idea what the answer to that one is - I think Miss Shelf may have hit it on the head.

There is gravitational pull on the earth, by the sun for example. I believe that the net gravitional pull, however, is zero. I'm not exactly sure why.

Libre said:
Exactly.
The answer is 0.000...0
Mass is a measure of the quantity of matter in an object.
Weight is the gravitational attraction between an object and the Earth, and also, the Earth and that object.
So, with the Earth as a frame of reference, the weight of the Earth is 0.
You would be weightless in space, and so is the Earth. Your mass would not change though.
The question, what is the MASS of the earth, in METRIC TONS is a very different question.
I have no idea what the answer to that one is - I think Miss Shelf may have hit it on the head.

At the risk of provoking even more thinking, or worse yet, provoking Libre, consider the following hypothetical scenario:

I place a chunk of dry ice (frozen Carbon Dioxide) upon a scale, and it happens to register 1 pound (pardon me for not saying a kilo, but I am a true blue North American).

Now, CO2 does not melt in the conventional sense, as frozen water (aka ice) does, but rather sublimates (ouuu that sounds ever so sexual), and passes directly from the solid phase to the gaseous phase (and remember, plasma is the fourth state of matter).

So we may observe as our chunk of dry ices, evanescently as the Cheshire Cat's smile, approaches as close as we please to a weight of zero. But it is not meaningful to say that it ever reaches zero, for when it disappears, then there is nothing remaining to which we might predicate the qualia of weight.

In Structured Query Language (SQL) there is something called NULL, which is often mistakenly identified as zero. But NULL has a very different meaning. When a field contains null, the null signifies that the value is either unknown, or possibly meaningless. NULL is a big question mark. When we say that something is weightless in space, what we mean is that some astronaught is flailing about with his hands and legs, and must be very cautious about peeing.

It all depends upon how you choose to define weight.

So it may be misleading to say that the Earth has a weight of zero. It may be more meaningful to fill in our weight field with the NULL. Furthermore, the Earth is in a certain orbit precisely because of the gravitational attracting between the Earth, sun, moon, planets, and virtually all the mass in the universe.

All these matters had quickly passed through my mind when I first saw Libres post. But I felt that if I were to cavil about such things, and Libre was actually unaware of the subtle distinction between mass and weight, then I would be perceived as an insensitive, pedantic putz, and Libre would feel even more hurt, and would do something hasty in desperation.

It is not that the object in space becomes weightless, but rather that the concept of weight in space becomes meaningless, or at very least, vague and illusive.

Were we to place the Earth on the surface of Jupiter, it would take up a percentage of Jupiter surface area comparable to New York State's occupation of the earth's surface, or perhaps even New York City's occupation, to hazard a guess. And the earth would definitely have weight on the surface of Jupiter.

And speaking of Jupiter (the name of a deity), if a deity is the source of existence, then one cannot speak of that deity existing, or not existing, just as it is difficult to speak of the weight of the Earth, and yet Earth's mass is the source of our notion of weight.

When anthropoligist Margaret Mead asked some natives where babies come from, they were perfectly conscious of the correct answer, but felt embarrassment and compassion Ms. Mead, as the thought perhaps SHE did not know the answer. So, to be politically correct, they gave the answer which they give to small children, namely, that babies are found under cabbage leaves (or something similar). And Doctor Mead promply published the astounding fact that there exist natives so primitive that they are ignorant of the facts of human reproduction.

What we do for love!

If the Earth was weightless it would drift away from the Sun so even in space you still have to account for that. The Earth is just in a constant state of falling around the Sun.

When an astronaught is space walking outside his craft both him and his ship are in an orbital flight path around the Earth. Without being set in orbit to be traveling at high speed around the Earth gravity would pull them down. So in a way you could say that in space you aren't necessarily weightless but you are in a constant state of falling. It's just a matter of falling around stuff instead of into it.

I guess in comparison you could think of one of those big plastic funnels that people can drop coins into for donations. You drop the coin in and it goes in several circles or orbits and for a while it keeps falling around the center until eventually falling into the center. The differences between the coin and outer space satellites are things like air friction and also the coin doesn't have it's own rocket to occasionally adjust it's orbital path. Another thing is that if the plastic well wasn't as steep the coin would probably go down a lot more slowly.

3-footer-new-cone.jpg

This may be one of those questions we're better off not knowing the answer to, kind of like if we really wanted to understand what holds a jumbo jet aloft full of fuel and passengers, we'd look for the answer, but some of us would rather not know. :D

Miss Shelf said:
yes, but what is the tortoise standing on?
Not to worry what the tortoise is standing on. What is amazing is that there is a tortoise at all. :)

Libre, are you going to venture an answer to your question. One that even I will understand. ;) :)

Is this a trick question?
This is why I am terrible at math, physics, and anything that forces me to be a logical and use the left side of my brain. Sometimes I wonder if I was born without the left side of my brain.
I'll venture a guess. I probably won't get the math right, I'm warning you.
Circumference = approx. 35000 mi (?)
Radius = (35000/pi)/2 = 5570.4277 mi
Volume = 4/3(pi)r^3 = approx. 724025511088.122426955561257475 cubic miles.
This may be totally wrong, but let's pretend for the sake of my nonexistent mad logic skills every cubic mile of stuff weights about a kilo. Then there would be about 724025511088.122426955561257475 kilos of stuff. Throw in another couple of billion to cover everything ont the surface, and there you have it.
My guess: 800000000000 kilos.
Don't laugh. Only I am aloud to laugh at myself. And so I will. I will also laugh at the rest of you with your tortoise theories and whatnot. I have set an example by using amazingly too-advanced-for-you astrophysical demonstration. Mwahahahahaha.

Back