• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Tim Winton

The Doogster

Hi folks

I can't believe there's no thread for Tim Winton.

I've only just discovered him, but I'm glad I did. I can't believe a writer of such calibre slipped under my radar for so long.

In the last couple of weeks I've read Dirt Music and The Riders. The latter completely blew me away. The former was great, but in a more mature and serene way.

One thing that frustrates me about Winton's novels (well, the two I have read so far) is their endings. He doesn't like to give the reader a nice safe ending on a platter, does he?

Next on the list is Cloudstreet.

Any other fans here? Don't be shy now.....

I've not read him, but my former boss bought me Cloudstreet a few years ago, as she highly recommended him. One day, when I work through my TBR pile, I shall get to him. :)

I just finished Dirt Music last week. I felt like the novel fell flat about halfway through and I had to push to get through it. It felt a little rambling and over-written to me. But, I do have to say that I really enjoy Winton's style of writing, so Cloudstreet and The Riders are both on my TBR list.

Cloudstreet is pretty much my favourite novel. I have not yet gotten to read any on Winton's other novels, besides Lockie Leonard which I read for year 8 english (anyone else who's read this book will know that many parts of this book can come as quite a shock to a 13 year old).

G'day
recently read "Breath" and it's well written and all, it's a shame the characters are total tossers really, and there's this prologue which makes absolutely no sense until the end and then it still didn't make sense - perhaps a bit too post modern for me, I like nicely tied up loose ends
really tried to like it cos I'm an Ozzie too but just couldn't do it.
cheers

Back