• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Toni Morrison And Doris Lessing

GERBAM

HI
These two women are at the top of my favorite writers list.
Both have written novels and non-fiction that has been groundbreaking and superb. Both have won the Nobel Prize for LIterature. They each write about women; relationships between the sexes; madness; children and mothers (parents); and both are very political in the social sense. Their sensibilities are so acute they are able to take the pulse of their cultures and in sensationally formed prose tell their stories.

Toni Morrison is an African American woman who is probably near 70yrs old. She has brought to readers a perspective on how slavery effected not only the past, but how it continues to impact the African American community in present times. She also makes clear how the heirarchy within the African American community has evolved. She is the first African American woman to win the Nobel Prize and her awards are legion. Her book, BELOVED was made into a movie and soon her novella, THE BLUEST EYE will be transformed into a film.

Doris Lessing is English, but was born in Rhodesia. She is eight-eight years old and self taught. Her schooling was sketchy. Her genius is in intuitively understanding what and how women will cope in specific situations. She has no illusions about sentimentality and is quite frank in her opinions. She has taken flak over the years for her courageous books and is best known for THE GOLDEN NOTEBOOK and THE CHILDREN OF VIOLENCE SERIES. She has won every honor bestowed upon a writer of the world and in 2007 she won the Nobel Prize for Literature.

These women have changed the landscape of Western literature forever.
Any other fans?
GERBAM

Rather than repeat a post here, if you pop over to General Book Discussions, I just posted about Toni Morrison's "Beloved". (Please overlook obvious and stupid typos - I haven't figured out how to edit a post as yet.)
I really found her work disturbing but more because she creates such a vivid picture than anything else.
Another marvellous writer, I think, along the same lines is Alice Walker. Have you read "Possessing the Secret of Joy". Tough, gritty, but OMG - she is not one to shy away from tough subject matter (female, genital mutilation). She also wrote "The Color Purple" and "By The Light of My Father's Smile". If interested, here's some entries on that one:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/1930793/hotflash/book_-By-the-Light-of-My-Fathers-Smile

BOOKCROSSER
You're so right about BELOVED and its impact. And yes, I have read Alice Walker too. Both women are such strong, fabulously brilliant writers with a lot to teach all of us.

So glad to see your post.

ENJOY
GERBAM

I have to admit, I lean towards female writers. Women deal with the blood and guts of life (so to speak) and bear their souls more in their writing. I'll be looking for more books by Toni Morrison.

And, for a lighter note, but still a very satisfying writer, I just love Elizabeth Berg. She just speaks to a woman's heart - at least this woman's heart. Maybe you have to be over 45 to appreciate her perspective, but her Pull of the Moon had me yelling "yes" more than once, and it brought two of my friends to tears (This is one I buy regularly for girlfriends).

I'll be looking for more books by Toni Morrison.

As an exercise in understanding the evolution of Morrison's body of work I suggest you read her in order.

BELOVED was a really heavy one to start with and while her others are full of symbols, metaphors, raw feelings and the aftermath of slavery they are so important. SULA and THE BLUEST EYE are two of her earliest works. And FYI '... EYE' is being transformed into a play.

ENJOY
GERBAM

Back