• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Toni Morrison

Eugen

I have just finished Sula, and like Love, it did not disappoint. Toni is vivid, picturesque in her language, one can't help but love, hate, die, smell or feel explosions climbing the thigh in the ferocious sharpness of her language, her dialogue. This is one author I would blind buy any time. Anyone with me on this one?

"Toni is vivid, picturesque in her language, one can't help but love, hate, die, smell or feel explosions climbing the thigh in the ferocious sharpness of her language, her dialogue"

I know not how to quote someone on here.

I am scared of this book already! Climbing the thigh? Sheesh. Is it your book?

Geenh said:
"Toni is vivid, picturesque in her language, one can't help but love, hate, die, smell or feel explosions climbing the thigh in the ferocious sharpness of her language, her dialogue"

I know not how to quote someone on here.

I am scared of this book already! Climbing the thigh? Sheesh. Is it your book?
Wish it were! To quote, click on quote below the message you want to quote and a window opens for you to enter your message below the quote.

Eugen said:
I have just finished Sula, and like Love, it did not disappoint. Toni is vivid, picturesque in her language, one can't help but love, hate, die, smell or feel explosions climbing the thigh in the ferocious sharpness of her language, her dialogue. This is one author I would blind buy any time. Anyone with me on this one?
I'm alone on this one then. Tsk!

Eugen, I think you've convinced me to give Morrison a try.

I've been tempted on a number of occasions, but I resisted for a totally irrational reason. I just couldn't get my mind around the Oprah recommendation thing. I know it's stupid, but I couldn't stand her gushing on and on about Toni Morrison being her favourite author and that everyone should read her, etc., etc. It's not that I haven't read quite a number of her recommendations already, but I felt I came to them on my own and not by her seal of approval.

As I said, totally irrational - something I've got to get over.

Way to go, Ell. I stumbled upon Toni per chance. Oprah who? Yeah, UK.

Mine was a big gamble; I lifted a book titled Love off a bookshelf, don't know what bug caught me that day! But it turned out to be a streak bug, real lucky. As I read the back cover, I realised this was a powerful novel, nothing soppy, drippy, flutterings or cosy dovey. If Toni describes a death scene, it's a death scene. She shows it. It's like watching a movie. Her dialogue is crisp, nothing goes to waste. Since then, I see Toni, I get. No questions. Still convinced?

JimMorrison said:
if you want to read a book by Toni Morrison i highly suggest reading The Bluest Eye
Such instincts you have; I've just bought it! And "Song of Solomon" and "Paradise" and "Tar Baby", all at once. You're not her hubby, Jim, are you?

I read Beloved and thought it was great. It haunted me for days afterwards. I keep meaning to get hold of more of her work - thanks for the recommendations.

Chiz, Clara. I do grow with Toni's writing. It's so distinct, no matter what she writes. A woman's walk, a lift of eye, stomach laughter - it dwells with you for ages.

JimMorrison said:
if you want to read a book by Toni Morrison i highly suggest reading The Bluest Eye
The Bluest Eye is a bit of a disappointment; I think I had high expectations, and it surprises me that I enjoyed Love and Sula more. It's still early stages, and unlike books that I put away, I'll finish this one, though a bit of a slow start. Perhaps it's just overall too depressing. Another kudos to Toni's writing, I suppose, if the bleakness of the lives it describes gets one so down.

I preferred Jazz to The Bluest Eye, Beloved and Sula.
It's wonderful.

"Pain. I seem to have an affection, a kind of sweettooth for it. Bolts of lightning, little rivulets of thunder. And I the eye of the storm."

I've only read Song of Solomon, but I loved it. I was simply caught up in it, and spent quite some time living and breathing with the characters - not to mention dying. That was a fantastic book. I'll check out her other stuff at some point - they'll go on my TBR list for sure :)

Thought I'd re-open discussion here as it's been a few years! Any other Toni Morrison fans?

I've nearly finished 'Jazz' and it's unlike any book I've ever read before... the title and the music and the narrative are so linked together - it feels disjointed and edgy in places. From the above comments it sounds like many of Morrison's novels are highly original in style. 'Beloved' has been recommended to me over and over again, has anybody read that?

I had to read Beloved for my exams and I liked it,tough and scary but well written and full of meaning and symbols.

Eugen, I think you've convinced me to give Morrison a try.

I've been tempted on a number of occasions, but I resisted for a totally irrational reason. I just couldn't get my mind around the Oprah recommendation thing. I know it's stupid, but I couldn't stand her gushing on and on about Toni Morrison being her favourite author and that everyone should read her, etc., etc. It's not that I haven't read quite a number of her recommendations already, but I felt I came to them on my own and not by her seal of approval.

As I said, totally irrational - something I've got to get over.

HI
I don't know if you are still around but perhaps this post will catch someone else's eye. TONI MORRISON is an American Icon, an internationally respected writer and a Nobel Prize winner for LIterature.
TONI MORRISON is in my top 5 favorite writers of all times. I don't watch Oprah anymore and resent when a lable is attached to the bookcovers as "An Oprah Selection" I don't care what Oprah reads lol lol lol but she is correct in recommending Morrison to anyone interested in novels that are deeply layered with emotional and cultural and interpersonal and history. Sometimes one has to read hre books more than once to 'get it' and with each read another layer is revealed.

SULA was Morrison's first book. It's heartbreaking and is a great introduction to the themes that will appear in all of her work.

Right, I'm definitely putting Beloved and Sula on my to buy-list, I've read the blurb of both and they've both come highly recommended :D

I don't watch Oprah anymore and resent when a lable is attached to the bookcovers as "An Oprah Selection" I don't care what Oprah reads lol lol lol but she is correct in recommending Morrison to anyone interested in novels that are deeply layered with emotional and cultural and interpersonal and history.
I agree, I don't pick up books just because they've got a famous face attached to them (though I can recognise that famous faces encouraging people to read can only be a good thing) but if it promotes authors as fantastic as Morrison seems to be, and gets more people reading them then that's fine by me :D We have Richard and Judy over here, I've just bought a book from their list, so we'll see how that goes....:)

RECOMMENDS AND recommends

I agree, I don't pick up books just because they've got a famous face attached to them (though I can recognise that famous faces encouraging people to read can only be a good thing) but if it promotes authors as fantastic as Morrison seems to be, and gets more people reading them then that's fine by me :D We have Richard and Judy over here, I've just bought a book from their list, so we'll see how that goes....:)

dollymixture
looks slike gmta about books

who are richard and judy?
do you get charlie rose?

interested in talking

Back