• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Top 10 Characters

Violanthe

Thanks to everyone who contributed their votes, opinions, and feedback to this project. I hope you will find that the final list was worth your while. If you're willing to do it all again, then stop by and vote for our newest list, the Top 10 SF Films. Without further ado, here they are, the top 10 characters in alternative reality fiction:

1. Elric of Melnibone
from The Elric Saga by Michael Moorcock

2. Darth Vader
from Star Wars by George Lucas

3. Gandalf
from Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

4. Caine (Hari Michaelson)
from Heroes Die and Blade of Tyshalle by Matthew Stover

4. Merlin
from Arthurian legend told and retold by various authors

6. Frankenstein's Monster
from Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

7. C'thulhu
from C'thulhu Mythos by H.P. Lovecraft

7. FitzChivalry Farseer
from The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb

9. HAL 9000
from 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke

10. Gollum (Smeagol)
from The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

If you're interested to see further results (books ranked 11-75), as well as reader commentary on this Top Ten, please feel free to check out the full article.

So, what do you think of the list? Do you find it an accurate representation? Who would you add? Who would you take away? Who got unfairly ignored? What characters were ranked too high? Do you find this list predictable? Does it contain any surprises?

I have two complaints about the list. First, I feel like an idiot because I have no idea who that is you have at number 1. Maybe a great character, but not nearly universal enough to be number 1. Vader would have made more sense there or maybe Gandalf.

I would have put Roland Deschain in the list. Hell, he would have been my number one, so I am really out of line arguing for universal recognition. But I love Roland he is my favorite. If I had to take out one to add him it would be Hal 9000, which strictly speaking I am not even sure qualifies as a character.

You've never heard of Elric? The Elric Saga is considered something of a fantasy classic.

Actually, your Roland just missed the top 10. If you check out the rest of the list, you'll see him at number 11

Back