• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Torture - What is it? What's acceptable in 2005?

I don't think that torture is ever o.k. Mainly because of the moral issues behind it, but also because of the fact that a lot of information extracted from the tortured are usually just things that the torturers want to hear, in order to stop the pain.

this is really debatable. the more personal and close to home this subject is, the more you want torture to be present in justice.

some things seem inhumane, but i suppose its like that "eye for an eye" policy. murder can be more horrific and inhuman than the electric chair.

For known terrorists, the issue becomes complicated. On one hand, you don't want to sink to their level of inhumanity. On the other, their crimes of slaughtering innocent people are so inhuman that i've heard an argument that by doing this they have not only given up citizen's rights (like ordinary criminals have by committing crimes) but human rights as well.

Edit: I'm mostly trying to be logical and unemotional in my discussion of this but let me just say that in my heart I feel it's wrong, no matter what.

Oh, gosh -- and this thread is book related, too! :D

CHRIS MATTHEWS: Let me ask you about this. There's a great quote in your book, and I don't know if it's true or not.

Your new book, "Our Endangered Values": "This sharp and growing difference over the issue of whether international disputes can be better resolved by diplomacy or by military action is now the most accurate predictor of party affiliation -- more important than gay marriage, homosexuality or abortion."

In other words, you can tell if a person is a Democrat or a Republican, where they tend to think, let's go in, let's use force, or Democrats, let's try diplomacy.

CARTER: That's exactly right. And that's confirmed by all the major public opinion polls, which I studied for a couple of months before I wrote that paragraph.

That's absolutely right. And it's an honest difference of opinion.

Most of these departures from basic moral values are held by very deeply committed people who believe they are absolutely right.

A lot of people believe in the Republican Party that if you have a strong military, the best way to meet American needs or to implement our influence around the world is to take military action.

Most Democrats believe that it's better to use military action only if our security is directly threatened, but to use negotiation, mediation and forming alliances as a best approach.

That difference is the major single difference that distinguishes Democrats from Republicans.

Can this be true?

It's a very fine, very sharp edge we walk....but if you care to risk the wound.....:D :D

I feel a small tear of pride building up in the corner of my eye...

Motokid said:
It's a very fine, very sharp edge we walk....but if you care to risk the wound.....:D :D

I feel a small tear of pride building up in the corner of my eye...

I wonder what bookly cyber-tortures consist of?

:(

Manana, Motokid. That's a whole lotta readin' there, and it's past my PST bedtime. But thanks for the link. :)

I'm so glad to see your Happy Little Motorcycle back. That scary guy was simply torturous to look at.

:D

Back