• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Tracing my old school reading books: Can anyone help?

aldenham_works

Hi all,

I live in North Wales and being on a nostalgic journey with an old friend recently, amongst other things, came up the subject of primary school projects and books which we used to read. For a few months now, i have been trying to trace a series of books which i used to read in Primary school some 10 years ago. Everyone in my class used to read these books up until we left primary school in 1996 at the age of 11. I'm trying to trace this series of books but, unfortunately, my memory of them is very vague, but i will describe here what i can remember and i'm hoping that someone here will recognise the series which i am describing.

The books consisted of a series of levels (levels 7-13) and had about 5, 6, 7 or maybe as many as 8 individual books in each level. As the levels went up, the books within that level got thicker. I remember that level 13 went upto book 5 and that Level 7 Book 4 (or maybe Book 5) was entitled 'The City'. The books all consisted of a selection of small stories - from what i can remember they looked about early-mid 1980s as some which had been well used were taped up to keep the pages together and some looked as if they were brand new. All books had its level and number on the top right hand corner of the front cover (i.e. LEVEL 13, BOOK 5 etc.). I can see the books in my head as clear as day, but the publisher's name just won't come to me. All i do know is they must have been books which were distributed to lots of UK primary schools throughout the 1980s. Also, the name 'GINN' sounds kind of familiar.

As you can see, there's not a lot of information to go on here, but if anyone can assist (or think they know of anything/anyone who may be able to assist), any help is welcome and much appreciated.

Regards,
Alan

Ginn do a lot of reading schemes for schools, so your memory is probably correct! You could maybe try searching for Ginn on Google or something?

Can't help you I'm afraid but just wanted to say thanks as oyu've just inspired me to track down lots of old childhood favourites on ebay!

Flossie Teacake by Hunter Davies shall soon be mine again!!! :D

Halo said:
Ginn do a lot of reading schemes for schools, so your memory is probably correct! You could maybe try searching for Ginn on Google or something?

Halo, Many thanks. It turns out my memory was correct as it was the books from Ginn 360 Reading Programme of 1979. I found two for sale on ebay which was a bit of luck. Do you by any chance know of anywhere where i can obtain a list of all the titles that were published in the '79 360 series? Would i have to email Ginn?

Thanks in Advance.

Back