• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Triumph of the Will

Themistocles

Well, for Christmas this year, in typically festive mode, my parents bought me...

Nazi propaganda! Yes, that's right, Leni Riefenstahl's documentary of the 1934 Nuremberg Rally was underneath the tree, and it really is quite impressive. The cinematography (one of the opening scenes features a Nuremberg lady opening her window over a typically Germanic rooftop scene - seconds later, a banner flying above the window falls into shot, swastika proudly emblazoned on it), the subtle touches (e.g. Hitler always being shot from below, and generally when alone, to make him seem to be standing tall, proud and potently), are all very effective. Scary, but nonetheless most interesting.

I'll admit, I own this one. it's pretty good, if you're into the old stuff. surprisingly, her films lend themselves well to re-viewing. I watch triumph of the will vicariously through my friends sometimes. after about twenty minutes, everyone's jaws drop to the floor. it's too surreal.

Back