• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Trudi Canavan: Priestess of the White

direstraits

Aha, Halo!! Got you to take a peek, didn't I? :)

aimg227.imageshack.us_img227_2592_image0125wx.jpg

I saw this in Singapore yesterday, and naturally thought of you. Wanted to tell you about this book, but then I just saw your post about you already being halfway through it.

Oh well. Enjoy it anyway.

So how different is it from BM?

ds

LOL! :D You know me too well!

I'm not enjoying it as much as the Black Magician trilogy. I think the main reason is that the main character is difficult to relate to, as she's rather aloof and reserved, whereas the main character of the BM trilogy was more likeable and you could empathise with her. The first half was also mired in endless talk of alliances, which was a bit dull. I think I was expecting to instantly love it because of the BM trilogy. However, I'm just nitpicking really, it's nowhere near bad and it is getting more interesting. :)

Notice Canavan's last series was "Black" "Magician", implying ungodly magic user, whereas the new one is "Priestess" - implying godhood, and "white" as an opposite of her previous series.

Tell me I'm over analyzing this.

ds

You're over-analysing this. :p

Still, it's a good point, well made. :D The Priestesses and Priests in this story are five people chosen by the gods to represent them. I don't know why the gods don't just speak directly to the people themselves. Maybe they're not very good, or maybe they just can't be bothered. ;)

Wow.

Just finished this one and it's the first one by Trudi Canavan. The BM trilogy is now firmly on my radar.

What a wonderfully colourful world she has created. From the different races to the age old conflict between religion and magic. Seemingly so similar but treated as though they are poles apart.

The characters are well drawn; the two centre figures of Lieard and Auraya are believable and vunerable and you can't help but empathise with them. Some of the peripheral characters clealy have more to tell us in future books.

The story moves along at a good pace pace particulary the end section where you can feel events building towards the final battle like clouds gathering for storm.

my friend just got back from Honolulu (im in the UK) with the next book... the evil one wont share.... mift is i.

I thought "Last of the Wilds" was out here already?

Being tight I'm going to wait till it's in paperback. If you can mug a friend for it that's even cheaper:)

I actually really prefered this to the Black Magician. The style of writing made it feel more of a grown ups book rather than the simple style of BM. Also the story felt more in depth. Looking forward to the next one.

Back