• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Trying to find fiction books on the following:

Will7128301

Armageddon - end of the world stories

Armageddon - religious theme

Fallout - people that have to fight to survive in the new world

I read the Doom series books and lookign for others like it.
Also read the Halo book series and looking for ones like that as well.

Thanks for your help!

Haver you read "Lucifer's Hammer" by Niven and Pournelle? It's 70's era, but (I thought) a great lot of fun--particularly if read during a rainy period!

How about "Domain" by James Herbert. It's part of the Rats trilogy. This is a nuclear holocaust story, focusing on one central character but also with interludes concerning different people.

The Day of The Triffids by John Wyndham. Cosmic rays cause blindness in most of the population.

The crysalids also by John Wyndham. Set 100's of years after a nuclear holocaust. People adhere very strictly to the bible and live in an almost puritan setting. Any child with any kind of deformity must be left in the 'badlands'. The book focuses on children with telepathic abilities trying to hide them from the adults around them.

I second the recommendation of 'The Day of the Triffids' and also recommend the following:

'After the Flood (Efter floden) by P.C. Jersild
Set in islands in the Baltic sea about 30 years after "the flood" which likely was a nuclear war. People are valued by their skills from the world before the disaster that are useful at the time. The comparatively young protagonist doesn't have any such skills so uses the only thing that he has left which is his body.

In the Country of Last Things by Paul Auster
About a young woman that sets out to find her brother in the ruins of a large city and encounter people that do bizarre things to live or to die.

Earth Abides

I love this genre of books. I like the offbeat ones. Lucifer's Hammer, mentined above, is quite good and fun, but kind of predictable.
The best of this genre I've read is Earth Abides, by George R. Stewart. Another, is No Blade of Grass - by I can't Remember Whom.

The book Chlidren of the Dust is about people learning to survive during and after a nuclear winter. It follows 2-3 generations of people, if I remember correctly.

MonkeyCatcher

Back