• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

trying to kill conan

marxlaws

some people just wont die.put them in a black hole and tie em to a stake. take their fav weapon, their horse, their ship, it dosnt mater it wont happen. authors want to kill them - but they cant. and i say thats fine by me!

im your worst nightmare. im cathy bates at 6'3 270lbs lookn to dish out some misery! Dont you dare kill capt kirk. kill gandalf - wont have it, thats right bring him back. take rand on a one way ride in book 3 no way! :)
my favorite writer joel rosenberg is notorious for killing people i have loved a long time. i am currently at odds with most of the fans of gardians of the flame series for just such a thing. I WANT unpredictabilty I WANT the fear of losing the main character but darn you sir for pulling that trigger. wait till it happens to you and your fav character dies its a real bummer. and that s when you realize you dont give a rats ass about writers integrity, you want your guy to get out of that death trap shake off that heart wound and go about saving the world!

.all kidding aside how do you keep a book rolling if you kill the main charecter? think on any book you ever read in fantasy that has a real main character and then take him out half way though the series or novel. its hard to do as a writer because you better have somebody to fill that void to tie the reader into your book. its allmost a given the main guy lives till the end. because when he or she or it dies the book is essentualy over. i think it happend to tolken with gandalf there is others but it is two am.

i think that bringing people back is pretty cheesy. although if joel decides to bring back a few i wont bitch. ahem i digress...

what do you have if indiana jones dies 20 min into the film, a realy bad movie. horatio hornblower? bilbo, dritz douerden, sherlock, rand el thor, belgarion this is just a very small list of people you cant kill untill the end. i know it sounds silly but there is some kind of agreement to the reader and a form that is and should be followed in writing. i know what your thinking ; poppycock! there's no rules to art, well your partialy right. there are no rules to art untill you want to sell it, then my friend of reality i got ya. there are rules every sucsessful author follows them if he wants to write for a living. i dont really want to see the hero die on page 255 unless its followed by -the end.

to the defense of writers and realist and the people that like the real world i am getting kinda sic of these guys living book after book without a scratch or just scars. heck, im getting sic of the open series thing that has been going on for the last 30 years in fantasy lit, thats part of the reason i like rosenburg so much the guy has no fear(although he loves the series thing).

one of the best books i read this year was the legend of nightfall by (someone i cant recall) it was so popular shes bringing him back somehow i dont know how. it was a good book let it lie. write something new.

on a side note- martins the best ive ever seen at killing heros there were a few i was like damn, he chopped his head off.

ps -now on the other hand jordan needs to kill some people starting his editor and that girl that tugs on her braid all the time.

marxlaws said:
i think that bringing people back is pretty cheesy. although if joel decides to bring back a few i wont bitch. ahem i digress...

I'm gonna quote you on that, Mark. :D

(btw, Legend of Nightfall - Mickey Zucker Rierchert. Great read.)

I think having an element of danger for characters that readers have grown to like makes a book or series more exciting to read. Not knowing what's going to happen is much more enjoyable for me than formuliac storylines. Like, Conan, you knew deep inside that he'd survive - there were plenty more books in the series.

SLot Dave said:
I'm gonna quote you on that, Mark. :D

(btw, Legend of Nightfall - Mickey Zucker Rierchert. Great read.)

I think having an element of danger for characters that readers have grown to like makes a book or series more exciting to read. Not knowing what's going to happen is much more enjoyable for me than formuliac storylines. Like, Conan, you knew deep inside that he'd survive - there were plenty more books in the series.

damn, caught red handed making sense by master dave. shhhhhh. :eek: :cool:

m i c k e y Z! thats right thank you.

hey i just wrote a thread on furmulaic back at the slot house.

ps -now on the other hand jordan needs to kill some people starting his editor and that girl that tugs on her braid all the time.[/QUOTE said:
everyone talks about nyneave (right spelling?) being real agrivating but everyone who has read wheel of time knows her and it prooves she is an enduring character, but besides... lan would try to kill himself AGAIN.

And i agree with the hero escaping the jaws of death but never unscathed, add a few scars, some nightmares and even a personality disorder but keep that guy alive!!

Back