• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Trying to write as the opposite gender?

Sar

kickbox
Apologies if this has previously been posted here, but I thought it may be of interest to some. Basically, the link takes you to the Gender Genie which uses algorthims to identify if the text seems written by a male or female, useful if you are attempting to write as the opposite sex & want to verify how accurate it is.

Well according to that I write like a male :confused: :D Though it does say it works best on pieces over 500 words (mine was under). I'd be interested to see if the results change between blog entries, fiction and non-fiction :)

Apparently the algorithm should be predict correctly in 80% of the cases - currently its averaging just over 59% accuracy.

I saw that it was not hitting the required accuracy, I've tried copying a pasting a few things I've written & the majority of the time I write like a man according to that. I think they try & go by if you write more logically or passionately - not sure though.

Sar said:
Apologies if this has previously been posted here, but I thought it may be of interest to some. Basically, the link takes you to the Gender Genie which uses algorthims to identify if the text seems written by a male or female, useful if you are attempting to write as the opposite sex & want to verify how accurate it is.

That's a great link!! Cheers :)

I ran the genie on the five separte parts of my novel. This is how it rates me:

Part 1: Reflections (female score = 16002, male score = 22514)
Part 2: Pumpkin Carving (female score = 23962, male score = 26758)
Part 3: The Whiteness (female score = 33004, male score = 37534)
Part 4: Finding God (female score = 22551, male score = 30312)
Part 5: Inside/Outside (female score = 23636, male score = 26875)

Total (female score = 119155, male score = 143993)

It seems this gender genie counts the number of times certain key words are used in the text, and rates your usage of the masculine/feminine genders of these words. Interesting.

Here's something else that is interesting... I ran the gender genie on a short story of mine called "Diet Addiction", which has a P.O.V. of a teenage girl, and here is what it came up with:

Female Score: 7180
Male Score: 6109

The Gender Genie thinks the author of this passage is: female!

This is a great link!

Great Link.

My usual work (third person perspective) came up as written by male. I also checked a piece i had tried to write first person from the male pov and it came up as female.

Great, my normal stuff comes out Male(i'm female - thought i better clarify that lol) when i try to write as a male it comes out Female. Confused? i sure am. :D

Just a quick add on to my previous post - I am now addicted to the gender genie and cannot help checking all my writing - even my letters and emails, darn it. Is there a gender genie patch available?

Gem said:
Just a quick add on to my previous post - I am now addicted to the gender genie and cannot help checking all my writing - even my letters and emails, darn it. Is there a gender genie patch available?
No kidding... I was the same way with this acid-laced gender genie. It seems to be acurate. My work tests "male" when I write in a male P.O.V. and "female" whe I write in a female P.O.V. I guess this means I really get into the heads of my characters when writing. My wife's writing seems to test "female". Whew!

*laughs* Well, that was amusing.
It seemed to think that my stories were female writer but it was half and half for blog entries, and my school essays came up as male...

I just found out much the same as Herenya. Essays are male and when I pressed the button to submit my gender, the message comes up: Blame the scientists! I did not write the algorythm.

If you think about it or have a look at the words listed, it is practically impossible to write an essay, report etc (unless it talks about feelings and relationships) that will give a female result. Talk about stereotypes

well 5 blog entries came up as male even though their content was definitely female. interesting.

Hello, I am male 21 and I wrote my novel from the opposite gender perspective (a woman is the main character). I did not find
it that hard and many women who read the book said that I wrote it in a quite empathetic way.
I find it positive to write in the other perspective - I find it also quite a challenge for authors to do that!
good luck. :)

Unicorn21 said:
Hello, I am male 21 and I wrote my novel from the opposite gender perspective (a woman is the main character). I did not find
it that hard and many women who read the book said that I wrote it in a quite empathetic way.
I find it positive to write in the other perspective - I find it also quite a challenge for authors to do that!
good luck. :)
What does the gender genie say? (see above posts, and link on first post)

sirmyk said:
Here's something else that is interesting... I ran the gender genie on a short story of mine called "Diet Addiction", which has a P.O.V. of a teenage girl, and here is what it came up with:

Female Score: 7180
Male Score: 6109

The Gender Genie thinks the author of this passage is: female!

This is a great link!

Hi, Sirmyk, I just felt curious here. How it is like to (or why you can) write about a teenage girl when you are the opposite gender from the story charactor. I mean, I came to realize that I couldn't write about how a man thought in his way, or how he felt in his way unless I was born a male.

Maybe deep inside I am truly a woman? :eek:

Nah, I just put myself in the character's shoes and start walking.

Back