• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Tsugumi Ohba, Takeshi Obata: Death Note

This is a series of 12 books(of which 9 have been released in the US) which is the only manga i've read. Now that says something-I generally don't read manga, but I devoured this series, and strongly recommend it to anyone who loves manga(and anyone who doesn't). I't about a teen named Light yagami who finds a death note, a notebook where you write a person's name, and they die. When criminals start dying, the legendary detective L is summoned and the books become a battle of wits between L and Light..who are both brilliant. Of course, there's also lots of action and humor and other characters. There's an anime and movie too. I strongly recommend this series.

Now, for those of you who have read these mangas: discuss. Who's your fave character, what's your fave book, what are your overall impressions, etc?

It's a bit hard to really start having a 'deep' discussion about a book that's mostly pictures...but it's still an amazing story. It reminded me or artemis fowl quite a lot-light is as brilliant as artemis, and thinks up extremely complicated plans which mostly work, and it's fun trying to figure them out.

If anyone really likes this series i'd be happy to pm you and we can start talking about this and going all crazy obsessive.

My girlfriend Rachel started reading this and hasn't let me borrow it yet. She says its amazing! I'll refer her to here. I'm just a little hesitant of reading it though, because of the fact that the guy on the cover of the first one looks like an evil demented clown, and I'm deathly afraid of clowns. I actually think that someone (will not mention who, ValkyrieRaven88) would have that happen. This "person" chased me around a Halloween costume shop with a clown mask on because she didn't believe I was actually scared of them...

Yes, that book is SOOOOOO good! I love it! L and Light are so awesome and brilliant. And, yes that dude is very creepy. He scares me too. Why are you scared of clowns anyways?

Light(the main character on the cover) is nothing like an evil clown. In fact, I'm sure he hates clowns. His personality is a lot like Artemis Fowl's. Actually there are quite a lot of similarities between the series. Plus, don't judge a book by it's cover..even if the book is basically pictures. No, it's an awesome manga, you should definately read it, and I'm sure you'll love it!

oh. Well, he's nothing like a clown either. He doesn't chase anyone scaring them, he just laughs at humans in general and eats apples.

I'm actually considering reading it. Which means I'll have to start making more trips to Barne's and Noble. It sounds like an interesting series...and Hermione's enthusiastic about it, which should be enough for me. :)

Just considering?I can't believe you. lol. Wow, I sound so much like an advertisement. But tell me when you start reading and what you think!

I don't know about the book, but I think the anime for it is here. My friend told me about it and they have more than 20 episodes out, and is still coming out every week. I might get them today from my friend.
Anyone watched the Anime? Usually the Anime is derived from the Manga, with some little changes.

Well, I have a lot on my plate...plus, I'm trying to finish all of Sandman, which is kind of difficult since I can only even read them by driving forty-five minutes out of the way. I actually bought a new one last weekend, but usually I just sit in the cafe and read them at the store because they're like twenty dollars a piece.

oh, that's understandable. I've been doing a lot of instore reading and bookbuying lately too, mostly history books though. I have quite a while to wait until the next Death Note comes out. Now that I think about it, I think it comes out the day of my AP history exam!

I really need to quit spending, though. Just looked in my account and I didn't have as much money as I thought I did. I need a job. :(

Well, Valkyrie, I can let you borrow Death Note sometime. Really, I only have the first 3. But, I am sure to buy more. It really is an amazing series. I will let you borrow it sometime, so long as you promise to be really careful with it. I am OCD with my books, I can't stand when they get dropped/ripped/bent/or get food all over them. But if you remind me sometime, I'll let you borrow the books that I have...

I really need a job. I am so bankrupt right now, it's not funny. And since I've started studying for my history AP exam, I've gone on a rampage for history books, so I have lots of holds at various stores right now..that I can't pay for. And Death Note #11 comes out in may, I have no idea how I'm going to pay for that either.

Oh, I bought number 4 yesterday. It made me oh so sad that I don't have enough money for number 5. It was a really bad cliffhanger. I hate that. I am hoping to have up to number 10 by may so that I will be caught up. But I dunno, I don't have too much money. I'll probably get my sis to buy some. She has a job, and I don't. And she loves the series too, thats a plus. I want number 5 so bad though.

Well, in the past few days I went to the bookstore (like 2 or 3 times actually) and now I own up to 8. And I must say, number seven was quite depressing for me...

I have a love-hate relationship with 7. I like the plot but it depresses me. It's also my friend's favorite. I gave it to him for his birthday. He was happy, but then blamed me for making him depressed. But what I've learned from books (and manga) is that bad things happen in books and life, so you just have to get over it.

I personally do not like how the story has been going after number 7. It is just too much of a dramatic change from the first six books, I am not used to it...It kind of makes me sad...Oh well, I am sure it will get better. Does it get better after number 8?

Back