• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Two Hands and a Knife

MountainMan41

I am trying to find a book that I originally owned in the late 1950s.
It was a paperback titled "Two Hands and a Knife," but I remember that it was originally titled something else in hard back.

THIS IS NOT the book of the same title written in 2003 by Terry Gibson.
I do not remember the author's name of the book I want.

The book was about a man lost in the southeast Canadian wilderness (I think) for about a year (I think) and all he had to survive with were his two hands and a knife. I believe the book was based on a true story.

I would like to hear from anyone who read the book. I would especially like to hear from anyone who can direct me to someone who would sell me the book. As far as I know it has not particular value. I want it to give to my grandson. I loaned my book out many years ago and it got lost.

Occlith said:
The Lone Woodsman by Warren Hastings Miller. (?)
I do not have a copy but it occasionally appears on Ebay and on bookseller sites like Alibris and Bookfinder.
Do you know if the story line matches what I said? Have you read the book? If you have not read the book, can you tell me how I might go about finding out what the story line of "The Lone Woodsman" is?

Sometimes the results in a seller site will have a plot summary listed. One entry on Alibris states : Dan Pickett and his dog, Pepper battle for life in the Canadian Wilds. Also found this with a Google search. (entry U5)

Occlith said:
Sometimes the results in a seller site will have a plot summary listed. One entry on Alibris states : Dan Pickett and his dog, Pepper battle for life in the Canadian Wilds. Also found this with a Google search. (entry U5)
Thanks. I did not see a summary where I looked. This does not appear to be the correct book. I do not remember a dog, and don't see any reason to edit him out on a paperback version.

Thanks. I did not see a summary where I looked. This does not appear to be the correct book. I do not remember a dog, and don't see any reason to edit him out on a paperback version.

I was wrong. After I found this book I discovered that I had forgotten the dog, Pepper. The paperback is titled Two Hands and a Knife and is written by Warren Hastings Miller. Miller is a collectable author so the books are a bit expensive, especially in first printings.

The book was originally printed in hard cover with the title ''The Lone Woodsman'' and published by The John C. Winston Company.

The softcover edition is published by TAB (The Teen Age Book Club) by arrangement with The John C. Winston Company and contains every word from the original book. There are more illustrations in the hard cover edition, however--including a full page color picture of Dan's fight with the wolverine--opposite the title page.

I currently (May, 2009) find one copy of the softcover and six copies of the hardcover on Abebooks. I now have one of each.

Back