• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

U.K. bullied boy 13, hangs himself.

SFG75

I was absolutely floored when I read this. His book bag and other items were often mangled by others and he was doused with food on more than one occassion. I'll tell you what else is a load of crap-the notion that the teachers "didn't know" about the bullying. I've taught for seven years now and can tell you that unless a teacher is deaf and blind, they KNOW. My blood is rising the more I think about the article. Hopefully, folks will pay more attention to this and quit with the dumb atittude of "it happens to everyone." I'd like to know who went through what this kid did on an everyday basis. Lord, if I were his parent, this issue would've been settled long ago. I'd pull the kid from public school and let the teachers and other parents(and kids) know what I really thought of them in very straight-forward terms. The mother really wasn't an advocate for her child, very sad since he deserved better.

That's terrible, but it is true that teachers turn a blind eye to teasing, even when it happens right in front of them. I was sexually harrassed and teased from kindergarten to eighth grade, and no one did anything about it. When I complained, the teachers were quick to support my bullies--mostly athletic kids--over me, because I wasn't athletic, and even went as far as to tell me that it was my fault. I couldn't afford to be pulled from the school and sent to private school. I was stuck there until high school.

Children who suffer from bullying are marked as oversensitive, and the bullies are said to "just being kids." Well, when an eleven-year-old boy tells a girl of the same age she will die a virgin--an incident that happened to me personally, that is not kids being kids. Bullying just isn't taken seriously enough, and cases like the two in the news article above prove that it needs to be.

News stories about children who suffer this way make me cry big tears. I'm in agreement with you SFG, the teachers always know. If anything like this ever happened to my child I'd jump into his corner and blister anyone who came near. Where were his parents when all this was being perpetrated upon their child?

Back