• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ultimate Spiderman

jaybee7414

I read comics many years ago and while browsing in the mall's bookstore I noticed some "Ultimate Spiderman" graphic novels which I later deduced were reprints of past issues of the "Ultimate Spiderman" comic book. I bought and read volumes 1 and 2 which including issues 1-13 and I was very impressed. The bookstore had seven volumes. How many more volumes are there? When did the "Ultimate Spiderman" comic begin? How many more "Ultimate" other superheroes are there?

The Ultimate Spider-Man run has got to be close to over two years now. Written by Brian Michael Bendis, it has to be one of the best "new" comics out there.

Ultimate X-Men started around the same time as Ulti. Spidey and is at issue #41.

Ultimate Six, which is a take on an Avengers type group. Around issue 6 in a 7 issue run.

Ultimate Fantastic Four, also written by Bendis, just started and is at issue #2 due out next week.

Hope this helps.

It helps a lot-thanks. This Ultimate universe is quite interesting. Reminds me of the parallel earth spin(Earth 1 & 2, Earth Prime) that DC had a few years back, although I realize this application does not connect the Marvel Universe.

Ultimate Spiderman started as a monthly title a few years ago (it's on issue 51 or 52 at the mo). Marvel's ultimate universe is an attempt to rejuvinate their heroes, stripping them of their continuity and making them accessible to a new generation (especially at a time when the movies are coming out).

Think it has:

Ultimate Spiderman (includes the recentish ultimate six miniseries- with the rebooted sinister six)

Ultimate Marvel Team Up (lasted 16 issues and an ultimate spiderman special) - spiderman teams up with a number of different marvel characters - punisher, dr strange, hulk, iron man, etc. Same writer as ultimate spiderman. Was also used as a showcase to show off different artists with each issue

Ultimate X-men (though the novelty quickly wore off for me- stick to sltimate spiderman if you're short of cash)

Ultimates (aka the avengers, not the way u remember them though)

Ultimate Daredevil and Electra (miniseries). Above average, though this version doesn't appeal to me as much as the brooding character of the regular title

Ultimate Adventures (think this was the only dud in the line- on 2nd thoughts the next one wasn't that well written either)

Ultimate War (mini - 4 issues). The ultimates (avengers) are sent to take out the ultimate X-men. Bit naff to be honest.

Ultimate Fantastic Four- too early to tell how this is going to end up. However the current fantastic four on the shelves is going to be a very difficult book to topple.

PS - if you're getting ultimate spiderman- I suggest u pick up the hardcovers that go for a little less than the softcovers combined
3 hardcovers (HCs)
HC 1 has trades 1&2 contained in it
HC 2 has trades 3&4
HC 3 has trades 5&6
HCs 4 and 5 are incoming this yr- people are guessing the ultimate 6 mini'll be contained in one of them

Ultimate Spider-Man is a reboot which I believe was intended to lure new readers who liked the Spidey movies but who were overwhelmed by the normal continuity of the standard Spidey titles. As I understand it Spidey's origin in "Ultimate" was altered to be more like his origin in the first movie.

I must admit to being out of touch. A few weeks ago a friend and I were on a road trip and we stopped at a hobby store so he could buy some Star Wars gaming packs. I looked at the comic stands and was SO lost. I ultimately bought two Batman books, two Green Lanterns, a Spidey and a Hulk. I do that every once in a while, just for fun and for the thrill of buying comic books. But trying to keep up with the storylines is hopeless if you're a casual fan. That's why I usually buy one-shot graphic novels or trade PBs that have all the issues of a certain storyline in one volume.

Fenster said:
But trying to keep up with the storylines is hopeless if you're a casual fan. That's why I usually buy one-shot graphic novels or trade PBs that have all the issues of a certain storyline in one volume.
That, my friend, is the reason I *only* buy trades. No more single issues for me... unless they are given to me. :)

ds

direstraits said:
That, my friend, is the reason I *only* buy trades. No more single issues for me... unless they are given to me. :)

ds

It's a shame - a lot of writers now seem to write in a way that suggests they designed it for a trade. Only a few seem capable of writing srong single issues that fit together. The cliffhangers that made the single issues so compelling are becoming increasingly rare. Surely there must be comics out there that you just *have* to get as soon as they're released?

The issue's not confined to comics either - with the advent of DVD TV series are going this way as well. For example, 24 mimics some old school comics in the way it's plotted/paced. Some viewers wait for the DVD rather than watching week by week. But surely it's more fun to discuss stuff like this with friends as it's released and not 6-12 months down the line?

fluffy...

Agree with your observations. However, personally, I've retired from chasing issues - done it for 6 years, many years ago, and don't plan on starting again.

I don't follow the comics scene very closely anymore, so it's great to browse through the trades bookshelves and find gems, and best of all, knowing that they are complete in itself.

I would tear my hair if I had waited for the original V for Vendetta, for example, where many months elapsed between certain volumes before Moore actually closed out the series. I came, I saw, I bought, I sighed with contentment on a good story told in its entirety.

ds

Back