• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Uncorrected Proof Question

scooter13

I am a member of BookMooch and got a copy of "The Cleft" by Doris Lessing. However, it's an uncorrected proof. I am sure it differs from author to author, and even further from publisher to publisher, but what kind of things can I expect? Is there a possibility that the structure of the story could be vastly different from the hardcover editions that you can buy in the stores now, or is it a matter of typos and things like that? Has anyone had a lot of experience with them that would know?

Thanks!

From what I know, it depends on which uncorrected proof it is - there are some early uncorrected proofs, and ones that look like the published novel but say "uncorrected proof". The early ones may be different, but the ones that look like the published ones are usually pretty much the same things. A couple words might have been changed, and these proofs don't always have page numbers, but they're pretty close to the final, published book.

The book looks like a trade paperback version of the hardcover. (The hardcover is a smaller size.) Has the same exact artwork and page numbers. Even the back as the right up's that you would normally see. The only difference on the covers is the label on the front saying "Uncorrected Proof". Hopefully that bodes well for me. At the time I didn't care, but then after I got worried.

Thanks for you help.

It sounds like it's pretty much the same book. It's a copy they made just before publishing to see what it'd look like, but there shouldn't be any glaring differences.

The book looks like a trade paperback version of the hardcover. (The hardcover is a smaller size.) Has the same exact artwork and page numbers. Even the back as the right up's that you would normally see. The only difference on the covers is the label on the front saying "Uncorrected Proof". Hopefully that bodes well for me. At the time I didn't care, but then after I got worried.

Thanks for you help.

It's quite possibly an early copy that was sent out to reviewers (I've had more than a few of those myself over the years).

However, I've never known substantive differences between one of those and a final copy.

Back