• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

"Understanding Troubled Minds"

Geenh

This was a fantastic resource or guide about mental health! Anyone have any others that they can recommend? I would like a book that deals a lot with adolescent mental health. Thanks.

Hi Geenh,

I just got a copy of this book (link below), having heard the author speak at length on the radio. It's not so much about troubled adolescents as about how the adolescent brain functions differently than the adult brain.

He goes into how to interpret adolescent actions and views in order to communicate better and help them deal with the world better. He talks about areas of the developing brain that are activated under certain conditions (a challenge to independence, driving a car, physical danger, social occasions), and in what way the kid is reading the situation and formulating a response. It's very interesting and helpful. The physiological-cognitive response of someone under 22 or so is observably distinct and in a different thought-center from that of older people.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0743260716/qid=1107208806/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/104-9023136-2457531?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Fantastic novella! Thanks. I will have a look and see if it illuminates things for me. Adolescents are scary things!

Back