• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Unicorns, Pegasus', Horses

I could probably list several hundred of my favorite horse books, so could you please narrow it down a little more?

Which breed of horse? Racing? Showing? fantasy? young adult? mysteries? talking horses? horse biographies? shape shifters?

Which equine books did you really enjoy reading?

You might want to look through the horse, unicorn, and mystical beasts lists at scifan.com to see if any of the books catch your interest. Book Themes At SciFan.com

The Last Unicorn - Peter S. Beagle.

The Red Pony - John Steinbeck.

These are both very successful and enjoyable books.

I could probably list several hundred of my favorite horse books, so could you please narrow it down a little more?

Which breed of horse? Racing? Showing? fantasy? young adult? mysteries? talking horses? horse biographies? shape shifters?

Which equine books did you really enjoy reading?

You might want to look through the horse, unicorn, and mystical beasts lists at scifan.com to see if any of the books catch your interest. Book Themes At SciFan.com

Any breed of horse. I'm not really into racing or showing but if you read something that was amazing I would try reading it. Fantasy I like a lot. Young adult is fine. It would really depend on what the mystery was. Talking horses are cool. Horse biographies don't really interest me. Shape shifters would be really cool.

I enjoyed lots of equine books. I've read The Black Stallion books, Saddle Club, Pine Hollow, Unicorns of Balinor, Shadow Horse, and lots, lots more.

I just finished the first two books in a series by Joanne Bertin that includes intelligent horses as some of the main characters. They don't exactly talk, but they're great characters. If you're interested, the first one is The Last Dragonlord followed by Dragon and Phoenix. Were-dragons are the main characters, but the horses are really great.

Some of these books are old books and semi-collectible, so you may not be able to find them easily. Don’t spend too much effort or money on your search. There are many very good books out there. But these are few of my favorites:

A Horse to Love and Hex Witch of Seldom by Nancy Springer (Both of these are young adult.)

Mercedes Lackey – her Valdemar series that starts with Arrows Of The Queen (fantasy, intelligent horses)

The Grey Horse by R. A. MacAvoy (horse shapeshifter in Ireland)

Sky Rocket: The Story of a Little Bay Horse by Margaret C. Self (or any book that you can find by Margaret Cabell Self.)

Lynn Hall has written many young adult horse and dog stories. I especially like her series about the POA that starts with A Horse Called Dragon.

The white mare series by Judith Tarr that starts with Lady of Horses (historical fantasy, intelligent horses).

Horse Tradin' by Ben K. Green (or any of Ben K. Green’s books). He was a horse trader, veterinarian, and cowboy in Texas.

Any book by Jean Slaughter Doty. I especially like Can I Get There by Candlelight? and Dark Horse. (Both of these are young adult books. The first one is an urban fantasy with time-travel, and the second one is about show jumping.)

Doranna Durgin’s series that starts with Dun Lady's Jess (shapeshifter).

C. J. Cherryh’s series that starts with Rider at the Gate (fantasy, intelligent horses).

Horse Heaven and A Year at the Races by Jane Smiley (both about horse racing).

Hank and Chloe and Loving Chloe by Jo-Ann Mapson (about a tough horsewoman who is having a rough life).

Mary O'Hara : My Friend Flicka; Thunderhead; Green Grass of Wyoming

Will James : Smoky

C.S. Lewis: The Horse and his Boy

Back