• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Unknown Short Story??

Evisc

I read this SF short story once in a collection, but I can't remember its name, and very little of the story...

Here is what I remember; it is about a crew and its captain aboard this spaceship. The ship used to belong to the captains mother, but she died and is currently possessing the onboard computer... The rest of the crew is unbeknownst to this, until they enrage the mother and she starts making problems...

One last clue is that I seam to remember that the author accused Ridly Scott for plagiarising his/her story in Alien, seams kind of strange given the remembered story, but its what I remember...

Can anyone help me track up this story? All help would be greatly appreciated...

A.E. van Vogt claimed that Ridley Scott plagiarised his 1939 story "Discord in Scarlet" (which he had also incorporated in the 1950 novel "Voyage of the Space Beagle").

This is a link to the Wikipedia article about "Voyage Of The Space Beagle", and this article has lots of spoilers.

Probably not Ridley Scott, since he didn't write "Alien". The culprit would be Dan O'Bannon.

But interesting link there, WickedWitch. I'll have to check that out. I've always heard that "Alien" was a ripoff of "It! The Terror From Beyond Space" which, since it's from 1958, may well have been influenced by van Vogt, I guess...

Back