• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Updates From the Mods sticky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motokid

Is there anyway we could have a sticky that updates the members on what the mods and Darren are discussing, and/or what decisions have been made?
Even if it's a read only sticky it would be nice to know what's on the table as far as forum issues.

Like I wonder what's happening with the topic about the list of banned people. I wonder what's happened with a few of the threads that have been locked. I wonder about the recent polls we had.

Have they been discussed by the mods? Have actions been taken? Where are things in the decision pipeline? What's next on the table?

My Intelligent Design thread is a perfect example. It's still locked. I don't know if that's because the mods have made a final decision about it, or if that's because they just haven't gotten around to discussing it yet.

I think it might be beneficial to have a thread for updates.

Anybody else care?

With reference to threads being locked: on two or three occasions we have locked a thread, leaving a comment that the thread has been temporarily closed while we discuss whether it's OK. When the decision has been made, we have either re-opened the thread, or left it closed and posted our decision.

Motokid said:
My Intelligent Design thread is a perfect example. It's still locked. I don't know if that's because the mods have made a final decision about it, or if that's because they just haven't gotten around to discussing it yet.

After discussing this particular thread, we decided to leave it closed and I posted the following:

Halo said:
The moderators have decided that this thread should remain closed, as it is impossible to discuss the subject without reference to religion.

I thought that made it pretty clear that we had made our final decision.

Halo said:
With reference to threads being locked: on two or three occasions we have locked a thread, leaving a comment that the thread has been temporarily closed while we discuss whether it's OK. When the decision has been made, we have either re-opened the thread, or left it closed and posted our decision.

After discussing this particular thread, we decided to leave it closed and I posted the following:

I thought that made it pretty clear that we had made our final decision.

Very clear, but it was not there the last time I checked...and since the thread does not pop to the top on the charts when you modified this post I was not aware....

So what about the other stuff though? Does this sound like a workable idea Halo? Posting some kind of agenda or table? Results from discussions....????

Hmm it's not a bad idea as such, but (there's always a but) I think we, as members, should take care not to get too focused on knowing everything. This is ultimately a 'tyranny', and we don't need to know everything. I have no particular urge to know what the results of Mod discussions are, I can see on the threads in question whether they're still closed or not. I would never put up a thread like this on the forum I Mod. For the very simple reason that it would give too many members the idea that they have a vote in things. We have plenty of those issues already, people thinking they ought to have a say regarding changes because they've been there for 3+ years. Sorry, no. What goes on between the Mods is only between the Mods. If it was an open discussion it wouldn't be kept private in the first place.

I don't know how many would actually check such a thread. I know I wouldn't. Also what's the use of the info? "Topic x permanently closed." Okay, I suppose I could've guessed that since it's been 5 months now. "Topic y debate pending." What use is this? To me it looks like a reason to tell the Mods to hurry up, which I believe we have no right to at all, since they're doing this in their spare-time. Conclusion: No need for such a thread.

I don't know about this banned members topic Moto's talking about so I'll stay out of that.

I guess you can deduce that I'm not a supporter of the idea :p

I have no problem with how the threads are "treated" now and have confidence in the mods. Many times we should just let the mods do their job. We really don't have to know everything that they are discussing. :)

I don't think we have to know everything. I'm not interested in knowing who's making complaints and who's getting warnings. I just think when threads get "locked" or questions get brought up here (website feedback), these types of things that effect all the members or at least more than a handful of members, could use some notification.

It might be as easy as mod discussions that are centered around one or two people do not get posted about, but mod discussions and actions that involve, or could involve more than 5 members would.

Jemima Aslana said:
I don't know about this banned members topic Moto's talking about so I'll stay out of that.

I guess you can deduce that I'm not a supporter of the idea :p

This Thread Jemima is the one about banned people and a public annouincement....the poll results suggest most want it, but what discussions and/or decisions have been made?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back