• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

User Names and Real Names

Darren

When I decided to create The Book Forum, I wanted it to be a friendly, relaxed place where everyone would feel welcome. So far, it's developing very well :)

One of the things I felt would be important would be a sense of community. So, I decided to ask that members use their real first name within their username. I feel that this helps everyone get to know each other, and build friendships easier. I'd much rather be having a converstation with a "real" person.

I've now had several emails from potential members asking why I want real first names. Some are willing to change, others not. Some argue that people will make up a name to use, so the rule is pointless. Some say that they already have internet "names" and want to continue to use these. I don't believe that using your real first name compromises your security or privacy; how many Johns are there in the world?

So, I'm going to throw this one open to the existing membership for yor advice and comments...

Should we stay as we are, insisting on real first names within the username?

Should we scrap the rule and let people use whatever username they want, even if that is cyberdude99!

I think it is good that you force the members to use "real names". As you said, the members can use fake real names, but I do not hope so. Using real names gives the forum a really friendly face!

I did not force my members (in www.manual-forum.de) to use real names, and the result is: I have a member calling himself "agk" :(

Thanks for the feedback Holger. I too much prefer talking with real names.

What do other members think? I'm going to keep this ruling unless there's a mass outcry against it from existing members (or potential members who email me)

It doesn't bother me too much either way, but I do prefer to have a real name to call someone.

I use my real name or some form of it at all of the boards I post at, because I would feel silly having people call me "bookend" or "readinggirl" or something to that end;) .

Well, it doesn't really matter to me. I usually wind up giving people with wild log-in names a nickname anyway. Or people could run the gauntlet in the middle sort of like I did with mine. I combined the Silvery from my own Board Log-In with Chris. All that matters is that people are comfortable. :)

Chris

It does add a sense of community to refer in terms of real names - even partials like myself and (Silvery)Chris.

However, I don't wish to seem ignorant but if a user's name is foreign to me (hello, Holger! hello Lies!) then I might not realise it's an actual name. It could be anything. But that doesn't stop me appreciating their postings and growing to like them.

Tobytook
who gets his username from a very old nickname derived from Tolkien's hobbit, Peregrin Took.

Well, you can never control the names anyway. More important is to have the owners email-address. This is another fault in my forum-admin. Since I showed off the forum in a mail-list I got over 50 new members on one day. And guess what: 75 percent uses fake names, abbreviations and I forgot to use the email-verification! Now I have 56 members and I can one reach lets say round about 50 percent of them with mass-emails. The others are completely anonymous.
And that is not good! But what should I do? :confused:

Ok, I will maybe will have to change the procedure ...

I do believe you answered your own question here. :)

Use the required E-mail verification. You might have false names, but you can reach them. :)

Chris

Ok.. I was never able to post here before; thus, never able to reply to this thread.

It is of my humble opinion that you should not force people to use their real names on the internet when they don't want to!

I'm a paranoid internet freak, and I go out of my way to keep my personal info to myself. There are WAY too many good hackers that can find you if they want, why make it EASY for them? I'm sure, most of you have little or no idea how easy it is for yourself to be tracked down to your secure home location and be stalked by some freak off the net! Being female, I'm probably more paranoid than the average male. If you're not paranoid, you Should be!

btw, I might add... the only people who could respond to this thread, are people who were registered with a name... not people who feel as I do... kinda makes the thread moot.

Having said all of that, I'm really a nice person but just had to give my 2 cents worth.:D :D

Neurotic Yogi

Originally posted by TownBear_Laura
... more paranoid than the average male
Nice one :cool: with the ursine connection of your online handle to that animated picnic pirate. Did you do it on purpose or was it just an errant pun?

Tobytook

Re: Neurotic Yogi

Originally posted by Tobytook

Nice one :cool: with the ursine connection of your online handle to that animated picnic pirate. Did you do it on purpose or was it just an errant pun?

Tobytook
well.. you know, I'm so smart, I do these things completely by accident and it always works out wonderfully;) ;) :D

and if i'm wrong in my opinion.... then tell me... where are all the peeps who should be here registering?:D

Ok, so I feel a bit torn. I must admit I felt uncomfortable giving my real name to register, but I'm OK with it now. I'll say this, though. I did not give many details in my profile because, with my first name, birthdate, city, etc., someone COULD track me down. It just makes me feel a bit vulnerable. I don't consider myself paranoid . . . just cautious.

That being said, I have enjoyed using first name here. It does make thing more friendly. It's much better to hear "Hi, Dawn" than "Hi, Mardi Gras".

Mixed signals? Sorry.

I think it is wise to be cautious. People tease me that I am on the paranoid side when it comes to the internet. BUT, I try to keep it in perspective.

My name is Anna and I live in Portland, OR . . . . try to find me . . . I bet you won't be able to. My point is that it is a lot harder to track someone down than you would think. And the people that live in your neighborhood and shop at your mall and drive down your road are a much greater threat to your safety than people you meet on-line. I am far more likely to be robbed, raped, or murdered by a person in my own town than a person who found me on the net.

That's true, Annabelle. But why takes chances? Knowing that I may get get into a car accident won't keep me off the road, but I'll drive cautiously to avoid an accident. That's all I'm saying.

I've decided to change the forum rules and let people choose whatever username they wish to. I'd obviously prefer it if people included their real first names, but I'm not going to prevent people from joining and posting if they don't.

If any existing members want to change their username, let me know via email or PM and I'll change it for them.

Originally posted by Darren Lewis
If any existing members want to change their username, let me know via email or PM and I'll change it for them.
Pick Me! Pick Me! lol

You can guess what I want:)

Perhaps this could be solved by allowing members to put a small amount of personal info. in their profiles (e.g. date of birth), but only if they wish to, and letting them ignore the questions that they feel uncomfortable answering.

That sounds like a good idea, being able to put little things about yourself, date of birth would let others be able to wish happy birthdays as well.

Back