• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

User Names and Real Names

Members Birthdays come up automatically on the day at the bottom of the Forum screen, whether they like it or not :D

Phil

Originally posted by Ruzi
That sounds like a good idea, being able to put little things about yourself, date of birth would let others be able to wish happy birthdays as well.
I'm just saying that it would be kind of nice to have some idea of whether I'm talking to someone 10 years old or 60, male or female, etc. I don't need to know this, but aesthetically, it would be nice to have some idea. Allowing members to answer a few optional questions for their profiles would accomplish this sort of thing.

I hadn't realized the member registration details have changed. Our original registration had a space for your birthdate and there was an area near the bottom of the forums that would say 'Happy Birthday to whoever' on the correct date from the info in the database.

Maybe Darren can tell us why it was changed.

Ell, it still does this as far as im aware - it still brings up the birthdays at the bottom of the main forum page - does it not do this for newly registered people?

Phil

Edit: I guess it doesnt anymore - you dont enter your birthdate anytime on the registration screen

Originally posted by Ell
I hadn't realized the member registration details have changed. Our original registration had a space for your birthdate and there was an area near the bottom of the forums that would say 'Happy Birthday to whoever' on the correct date from the info in the database.

Maybe Darren can tell us why it was changed.
The birthday's bit had accidentally been turned off when I upgraded the forum software.

It's back on now.

You can edit your birthday from your User CP, under "Edit Profile"

hmm - I've only just noticed this thread.

I use my second name with a 'z' on the end. and most people just call me murphy, others use Michael or Mike, as that is my first name. I am in no way paranoid about people on the net, many know my name is Michael Murphy and that I live in London. Those who cared enough to stalk me could find my address easily due to my net presence and the sites I have designed. In a way I would be flattered someone cared enough to travel across the world to stalk me. I'd even invite them in coffee whilst we were waiting for the police to arrive and take them away.

I have met people from the net, all of which I have got to know before hand. I have never and would never meet someone from a chat room. I have met people who I know from reading their blogs for a year and conversing with them, and also ones who I know have met other bloggers who I talk to - and you get the gist from these to exactly what they are like. Also, every time I have met someone from 'online' I have made sure I am with someone else so it's a 2 against 1 scenario.

As far as usernames go, I like people using any names they wish. In most cases people use the same name all over the place, and this adds something to their character. Threads asking people to explain their usernames usually go down quite well. I am 'murphyz' everywhere except at my 'cow and chicken' site in which case I have to be a different 'character' because Cow and Murphyz just didn't sound right.

The only time I prefer to know someone's real name is when I send mail to them and would prefer to label an envelope John Doe instead of 'Whitewizard87345'.

Mxx

<Immediately sets out to go halfway around the world to stalk Murphyz>

<Realises that he probably only lives half an hour away anyway>

<Has a cup of tea instead>

:) My username is my real name - never really see the need for anonymity - i dont think my life is interesting enough to have people chasing after me :D

Phil

Hee, didn't realise you're in London too. I live northeast and work southwest so you'll have to be keen on commuting if you want to stalk me.

I'll get the hobnobs in.

Mxx

Well, not strictly London, i just put that because very few people would recognise it if i put Surrey :D

Aaaah, the Tube, hows that working out for you everyday - hope you're not on the Northern Line!! :)

Phil

PS: Mmmmm Hobnobs :p

Newbies tupenceworth now!

Personally, I hate using my first name to sign up for sites. I have had one or two bad experiences when I did. I always use this nickname or a variation of it for everysite I use, so it's not that hard to find me.

I can undertand why using real names makes the site seem friendlier, but surely, if you talk to a person, either via the boards or in pm, then you would get to know their name anyway?

This site isn't like some others that have well over 10,000 members. It's a very friendly place where everyone goes out of their way to make people feel welcome whatever they are called! :D

wkdblueeyes? What does that name mean then? Could you explain, or am I missing something blisteringly obvious here?

Cheers, Martin :D

I always use my real name, but mostly b/c I've never found a better one. I'd rather use the same name everywhere and what if I picked one and hated it? I can't commit to a tattoo, either.

I will say that I had personal info posted at Yahoo and removed it because, once I put my name and gender in, I was hounded by instant messages night and day from men I didn't know despite the fact that my profile clearly said I was married. But I wouldn't worry about that sort of thing on a forum like this where people are together for a specific purpose.

Yes, Ashlea, but seriously, stop ignoring my emails. I actually want to marry you! (And, of course, all the other things I emailed you about!)

Seriously...

Damn, I was in London a month ago!!

Well, will you be home tomorrow then?

Back