• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Vegitarian help please....

novella said:
Zoli is right. It's impossible to get elected President of the US unless you spout the god stuff.

hey, what I like about this conversation is it combined religion and politics!

I know, it's a sad thing. We concern ourselves more the image of the candidate then his political platform. The funny thing is that when some candidates say it, but it’s obvious that they don’t mean it.

Robert said:
I know, it's a sad thing. We concern ourselves more the image of the candidate then his political platform. The funny thing is that when some candidates say it, but it’s obvious that they don’t mean it.

I look back with amazement on the days when religious guys like JFK and LBJ never mentioned their beliefs because it was considered inappropriate and would alienate the voters.

When I was in high school I used to eat lunch at a joint called the Smile of the Beyond, run by some ex-bankers who became followers of Sri Chimoy. It was packed with miscreant stoned kids eating veggie burgers.

They served something call Fakon (rhymes with bacon). They also had fake tuna called something like Fooled-ya Fish. But the thing that made me think about joining the cult was the secret sauce.

Legumes, nuts, and soy products (which includes tofu) are good sources of protein.

I've always liked the Morning Star Farms Chix Patties - they don't exactly taste like chicken but they still have an interesting flavor of their own.

I'm not a vegetarain but I eat a lot of meatless foods. I eat chili, pasta, stir fry, pizza all without meat. I add extra vegetables to some foods but I don't look for a meat type replacement - I don't see a reason to. Mostly I just use the same recipes I normally use without adding meat to them, though they do require a bit of adjustment, especially in seasoning.

I don't eat tofu but I do like chocolate soy milk - so does my 3 year old. I haven't replaced regular milk with soy milk either - it's just another choice in the refrigerator.

I have grown to that point in life where cooking is a matter of "a little of this, and a handful of that". I don't really have cooking times either as I judge from appearance, taste, and texture whether something is done. I think this might be a sure sign that I've grown old.

I think sloppy joes are disgusting, so I've never tried them with boca crumbles. I also haven't tried them in tacos yet, but that's only because I need to get rid of some ground chicken before I buy any more crumbles. I'm sure it would be good.

Morningstar farms has good bacon. Just cook it in a skillet, not in the microwave. Make sure you cook it long enough on each side to be crunch/chewy. Otherwise it's like wet paper.

Motokid said:
I assume the boca burger stuff is wonderful as a meat substitute in taco's too right?
It is very good in Tacos. We prepare them frequently and it is an excellent way to use the Boca Crumbles.

Mehastings, sorry but Boca is also very good in Sloppy Joes. :) Guess I will have to give you my recipe.:)

Not exactly vegetarian but we had BLT this week using turkey bacon and fresh tomatoes from our garden the sandwiches were great.

muggle said:
Mehastings, sorry but Boca is also very good in Sloppy Joes. :) Guess I will have to give you my recipe.:)

Blech. It's not the well done hamburger part that bugs me (as I usually use chicken or soy anyway). It's the sloppy sauce and the soggy bun. Yuckola!

Well, I made Boca Burger spaghetti last night, it was....different. It was good, but different. I think the taste of the "real ground beef" is the best, but will have no problems alternating over which one we make. Got enough to try boca burger taco's this week too.

And I love a good, sloppy, soggy rolled sloppy joe. That will be experiment #3 with the veggie burger addition.

Motokid said:
Is there a "best" substitute for hamburgers on the grill, and/or chicken on the grill?

Sub the hamburgers on the grill for filet mignon in the pan, then swap the chicken on the grill for poached guinea fowl.

Welcome.

Boca Burger Taco's the best veggie meat substitute so far.....maybe cause the spices and everything cover the not-so-quite-like meat taste of substitute.....

please keep the ideas coming if you have them....

One "trick" is to think of veggie alternatives as different food tastes rather than analogues of meat. If for example you sample soya milk as a new drink instead of a milk substitute you will take to it quite differently. You US gourmets clearly have a far wider range of veggie foods than we have in the UK. I'm envious in some ways yet not sure I like the sound of some of the highly processed nature of some of it.

Geoff

I kinda get that....but when you've been eating something like spaghetti for your entire life (over 40 years) and you decide to make veggie spaghetti, you kinda want it to taste like spaghetti.....at least I do....and I don't really care if it tastes different, but I do want it to taste good....

The Boca Burger taco's we made could have easily been passed off as regular ground beef tacos....they were yummy....

GeoffNelder said:
Luckily spaghetti is veggie! I wonder what a meat version would taste like?

I guess I should have specified spaghetti with meat & tomato sause.......and if you could have tatsed the sause my mother made her entire life you would know the frustration I feel when looking for a suitable substitute.....

More than half of the traditional pasta sauce recipies contain no meat and are great. I am not vegeterian but I cook those sauces very often. I also wanted to give you something more innovative and looking for a recipe for vodka and chilli sauce (I had it in a restaurant, but never cooked it myself), I found a vegan site with lots of recipes. Enjoy

I love Veggie Burgers, but I could never become a vegetarian because I love Chicken and Turkey so much, not necessarily the beef.

Sonny673 said:
I love Veggie Burgers, but I could never become a vegetarian because I love Chicken and Turkey so much, not necessarily the beef.

Any specific brand of veggie burger, or do you make them from scratch?

At the moment, it's Franklins Portabela Veggie Burgers. Very good. Only 100 calories and a good amount of Soy Protein.

Back