• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Very short stories.

ewarwoowar

Was sent the following link and thought it was worth sharing...

We'll be brief: Hemingway once wrote a story in just six words ("For sale: baby shoes, never worn.") and is said to have called it his best work. So we asked sci-fi, fantasy, and horror writers from the realms of books, TV, movies, and games to take a shot themselves.

http://wired.com/wired/archive/14.11/sixwords.html

my favourites...

It’s behind you! Hurry before it
- Rockne S. O’Bannon

Computer, did we bring batteries? Computer?
- Eileen Gunn

The Hemingway example reminds me of the saddest garage sale I ever went to. There were at least seven large tables stacked high with brand new clothes for both boys and girls infant to toddler clothes, The tags were still on them, and they'd obviously never been used. There also was potty chairs, a crib, blankets, a car seat..all the stuff one would need for at least two babies of either gender..I over heard an older woman telling another customer that this stuff belonged to her daughter, who after 15 years of trying to concieve, had given up hope of having a baby. I've never forgotten it.

Probably not ewarwoowar's direction for this thread, but I gotta say that that is one really sad anecdote, abc... :(

I don't think I'll forget your post anytime soon too...

ds

Probably not ewarwoowar's direction for this thread, but I gotta say that that is one really sad anecdote, abc... :(

I don't think I'll forget your post anytime soon too...

ds

No, I didn't meant to spam his thread. I just wanted to point out that those tiny stories can have a lot to say that is relevant to someone somewhere.

Nope, I don't think you spammed his thread. You brought a whole new perspective on the six words Hemmingway wrote. I pondered on the words myself looking at the original post.

It's incredible the emotion a few words can evoke in our minds, when written with deliberation.

Here's my magnum opus. Ponder it and tell me if it's good:

Sign of times: "What CD Player?"

ds

Nope, I don't think you spammed his thread. You brought a whole new perspective on the six words Hemmingway wrote. I pondered on the words myself looking at the original post.

It's incredible the emotion a few words can evoke in our minds, when written with deliberation.

Here's my magnum opus. Ponder it and tell me if it's good:

Sign of times: "What CD Player?"

ds

Or, "What's an 8-track, mom?" ;)

Er... what *is* an 8-track?

ds

Prehistoric cassette tapes..thankfully they became obsolete before I invested too much allowance money in them;)
They were pretty stupid...if a song was running and came to the end of the track, it would jump to the next one to finish..very very annoying. And you couldn't just pick a song or a side very easily.

There are some really nice ones in there, but it's funny to see how some themes resurface constantly (like the time travel thing).

No, I didn't meant to spam his thread. I just wanted to point out that those tiny stories can have a lot to say that is relevant to someone somewhere.

I agree totally, despite all the other entries on the web-page the original Hemmingway 'story' is the most thought provoking, in my opinion anyway.

here's my contribution...

Gun pointed at head. Bang. Dead.

depressing huh!

Interestingly, I read of the "For sale: Baby's shoes. Never used." story as being by F. Scott Fitzgerald... This wasn't from a reliable source though, so I don't doubt it was by Hemingway. Or I wonder if it's some sort of urban myth, and it wasn't a famous writer who came up with it at all?

Back