• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Vladimir Nabokov: Lolita

Sly said:
I'm intrigued at the readership of this novel and have added it to my large Amazon book wishlist. :D

Hi, Sly! Welcome. (I'm using all of my will power in order to not to ask you about the Family Stone.) :D You will not be disappointed in Lolita. And you'll have about a dozen people who will never tire of discussing the book with you.

Sly said:
I'm intrigued at the vast readership of this novel and have added it to my large Amazon book wishlist. :D
Welcome Sly,
You won't be sorry at all. A very good decision! :)
Peder

StillILearn said:
Headaches can be caused by caffeine deficiency, or so I have heard. :D
SIL,
I can definitely tell you that's true, at least for me. It like full withdrawal symptoms for me when I do with out coffee. :(
Peder

Peder said:
SIL,
I can definitely tell you that's true, at least for me. It like full withdrawal symptoms for me when I do with out coffee. :(
Peder

If I accidentally get aholt of some decaf in the morning (without knowing it), I will definitely have a headache by noon. A cuppa real coffee will almost instantly cure the problem. Um. Does that sound like it qualifies as an addiction? ;)

StillILearn said:
If I accidentally get aholt of some decaf in the morning (without knowing it), I will definitely have a headache by noon. A cuppa real coffee will almost instantly cure the problem. Um. Does that sound like it qualifies as an addiction? ;)

Oh!, Oh!.....Vlad the (non) Impaler! Is back!

About 20 years ago, for a reason unbeknownst to me (still), I gave up all caffeine. The headache lasted a Week! Misery. Didn't use any caffeine for about 6 years. Then I came to my senses.
well sorta, you know.....:eek: ;)

StillILearn said:
It sounds like the addiction I have. :) I just absolutely need that first sip. It makes all the difference!

Yeah, but I mean would you actually break into a neighbor's kitchen in the wee smalls for a cup of fresh ground free-trade organic? Hm? Hm? By noon would you do it? In a great big white cup? :D

StillILearn said:
Yeah, but I mean would you actually break into a neighbor's kitchen in the wee smalls for a cup of fresh ground free-trade organic? Hm? Hm? By noon would you do it? In a great big white cup? :D
And that is exactly why I keep 6-8 bags of roast handy in my little kitchen cabinet. :eek: Really, when that hurricane hit, where was the coffee! I had mine ahead, plus while at the grocery yesterday, I purchased a camp stove, and a stainless steel percolator type coffee pot. just in case!:eek:

And sorry, not organic, I like my pollutants fresh.

StillILearn said:
That sounds like a very picturesque addiction! :) Do you have garb for these trips? Dress like cat-woman perhaps?
But naw, I have become inured to drinking whatever comes out of the coffee makers at the local commercial places, one of which is open 24/7 so I never get to extremis. But I do take the necessary mile-an-a-half round trip walks four time each to day eat my one never-ending meal and have coffee each time.
Speaking of which,
It's time,
CU later, :)
Peder

Peder said:
That sounds like a very picturesque addiction! :) Do you have garb for these trips? Dress like cat-woman perhaps?
But naw, I have become inured to drinking whatever comes out of the coffee makers at the local commercial places, one of which is open 24/7 so I never get to extremis. But I do take the necessary mile-an-a-half round trip walks four time each to day eat my one never-ending meal and have coffee each time.
Speaking of which,
It's time,
CU later, :)
Peder

Haha! Now we know whose kitchen to break into! And we also know why Peder has to buy fourteen pairs of new shoes per annum.

Does anybody here remember Orson Welles's commercial: "We will never sell our wine before its time"?

welles.jpg

StillILearn said:
Does anybody here remember Orson Welles's commercial: "We will never sell our wine before its time"?
SIL,
Now I see that Pontalba was giving you mind-reading lessons back there in that twilight zone! That was exactly what I was thinking as I typed that post. :eek:
Peder

Peder said:
SIL,
Now I see that Pontalba was giving you mind-reading lessons back there in that twilight zone! That was exactly what I was thinking as I typed that post. :eek:
Peder

do-di-do-di-do-di-do-di And this is where our friend the apostrophe comes in handy, kids.

Peder said:
SIL,
Peder

originally posted by StillILearn
do-di-do-di-do-di-do-di And this is where our friend the apostrophe comes in handy, kids.

I see nothing,
I hear nothing,
and I know nothingggg.....

Sgt. Schultz

StillILearn said:

For those of you who are younger than my newest bottle of nail polish, I offer this explanation of my 'apostrophe' reference:

Welles' face became familiar to a new generation in the late 1970s thanks to his ubiquitous commercials for Paul Masson wine, which featured the famous line, "We will sell no wine before its time."

The way I remember it was that Welles unctuously intoned the above whilst holding aloft (and gazing lovingly at) a glass of the aforesaid stuff.

The part of the commercial that made this so funny was when Welles glanced down at his wrist watch, said:
"It's time"
then tossed the contents down his throat.

Especially funny was the fact that the particular wine being touted had probably been aged for about two weeks in its own individual bottle.

That commercial always upset me. I liked and respected Welles and to see him intoning with that wonderfully voluptuous voice such.............pap. Pah!
Bah Humbug even. :(

One of the books I bought at the Friends of the Library sale yesterday was brought to my attention by a fellow Nabokovian, who is quite aware of, but does not share quite to the same depth my Nabokovian predilection. Anyway she saw one of the reviews on the back of the book. It reads as follows:
Almost a menage a trois among Nabokov and Calvino and At Swim-Two-Birds--excruciatingly clever, reeking of wit and surprise and inventive virtuosity... delicious. by David Markson, author of Wittgenstein's Mistress
:rolleyes:
The Correspondence by Evelin Sullivan

Back