• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Vladimir Nabokov: Lolita

Yeah, I'm not sure if this is, because I haven't read (or seen) either, but my sister watched a movie t'other day, called Leon and there's a paedophilic relationship in that. I didn't watch it properly, don't know if it's a book, and can't compare it properly to Lolita at all because I haven't read that either! I was just thinking about the two a coule of days ago, and seemed to notice a connection. Probably wrong, though. If you want my advice, don't take my advice.

swanson03 said:
Anything out there similar to "Lolita?"

Eh, Lolita has been my favourite book since I was 15 (I sneaked it, my mum would not put up a reasonable arguement)

I remember searching for something similiar to Nabokov / Lolita and ended up getting one of Prousts' books which is a different context (no paedophilia or anything) but had a solitary male figure I think who I thought was quite similiar to Humbert ... I can't remember :confused:

Alice

I havnt read Lolita yet...about to soon though. It sounds interesting and different. I always try to read similar books to compare them. More fun that way I think.

one of the most brilliant books i have ever read. nabokov is a pure genius - he wrote lolita in english (his second language) and did it perfectly.

Thanks for your comments, TTurner and Nosferatu. Hope you enjoy the book N! If I've persuaded you to read it then my post was worthwhile.

To whoever asked if there was anything else like Lolita - and I say this as not some all-over Nabokov maniac - I really don't think there is.

Finally, Motokid is reading Lolita! :p (just teasing)... I hope you like it. By the way, you're avatar is freaking me out.

Libra6Poe said:
Finally, Motokid is reading Lolita! :p (just teasing)... I hope you like it. By the way, you're avatar is freaking me out.

This has been a fun detour. Apparently it's time for me to read Lolita again.

Thanks, Motokid.

(Thanks, Shade.)

Well, I finished Lolita and I just don't get what all the fuss is about. I kept waiting and waiting for something to reach out and grab me, make me want to keep reading more, drive me to finish the story. I was waiting for a twist or something....but it never came.

I found it difficult reading. I struggled through many passages. It was not what I expected. Humbert was a wicked, evil man. Lolita may not have been the sweetest girl on the block, but considering the treatment her mother gave her....

I just don't get the hype. I don't really care if Nabokov's native language was not English. The story, to me was not a compelling story. I did not hate putting the book down to attend to something else. Distraction came easily while reading it.

I realize that comparing Life Of Pi to Lolita is apples to skyscrapers, but the experience of reading those two books was completely different for me. I really enjoyed one, and the other was forgetable.

What is it about this story of a grown man, stalking, repeatedly raping, kidnapping, blackmailing and "loving" a pre-pubescent girl that makes it so wonderful? Maybe the subject matter is just to close to home for me.

got my folks mixed up!

I know this isn't what you're going to want to hear, Motokid, but right now is the perfect time for you to pick up Reading Lolita in Tehran!

:eek:

StillILearn said:
I know this isn't what you're going to want to hear, Motokid, but right now is the perfect time for you to pick up Reading Lolita in Tehran!

:eek:

Thanks just the same...but I think I'll turn my attention back to some financial, small business, marketing type books....I need to get back into a business frame of mind....

Moto,
This is probably going to sound utterly crazy.
But someday you might try re-reading Lolita. :eek: Before you completely discard it, that is. Now that you know the basic story, the second read might be more enjoyable as you notice things you didn't see before. Nabokov deliberately wrote it in layers so that each re-read would reveal more insight and unserstanding into the story. For example, you might have wondered "So what finally happened to Lolita when she grew up? How did she turn out? And what was her child like?" The answers are there, but you might not have noticed them, because first you would have had to know her married name, which only comes toward the end of the first reading. On the second read you'll see the answers -- if you read closely.
Meanwhile,
Happy reading on your other topics,
Peder

I don't think Moto is going to take our advice just yet, Peder, but I think that
you and Shade (between the two of you) may have talked me into a second reading. Well, and Professor Nafisi, too.

Are you at all tempted to read Reading Lolita on Tehran?

StillILearn said:
I don't think Moto is going to take our advice just yet

I won't rule out reading it again...and I would probably try to find the version with the side-bar notes to explain some things....but I do think it would be better that I let a little time elapse before I try again....never say never...

StillILearn said:
I don't think Moto is going to take our advice just yet, Peder, but I think that
you and Shade (between the two of you) may have talked me into a second reading. Well, and Professor Nafisi, too.

Are you at all tempted to read Reading Lolita on Tehran?
StillILearn,
It was, in fact, Reading Lolita in Tehran that got me back to reading Lolita itself the second time. The first time was when it was first published and I was even less whelmed than Moto by it. Browsed it, looking for the sex, never found any, never bought it. :D Now I've read Lolita about 5 times and some passages in it a couple dozen times. I never tire of the first and last paragraphs.
Peder

Back