• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Vladimir Nabokov: Look at the Harlequins!

Gem

kickbox
Peder, Steffee, Pontalba, StillILearn & everyone else reading along,

I've done the hard part and created the thread. All you have to do now is the um..easy discussion/analysis/solving the puzzle bit.:D

How very kind of you Gem. I haven't started yet though :eek:

But do carry on! :D

Gem, have you read it yet? What do you think?

Hello Steffee,
I haven't started yet though
have you read it yet? What do you think?

I started it last night, have only read the first 50 or so pages. So far i've found it to be an easier(?) read compared to Sebastian Knight, but it is just as stimulating and thought provoking.
The opening sentence hooked me and may be one of the longest I have come across;

I met the first of my three or four successive wives in somewhat odd circumstances, the development of which resembled a clumsy conspiracy, with nonsensical details and a main plotter who not only knew nothing of its real object but insisted on making inept moves that seemed to preclude that slightest possibility of success.

Oh, so it's one of those... have you read Pnin, Gem?

Anyway, I will definitely pick this up and read all about his wives. I love how Nabokov's characters always make disastrous choices in women. :D

Oh, but if you think that's a long sentence, you should try Marcel Proust's Swann's Way or read the final chapter of Ulysses - something like 7 sentences in the whole 30+ page chapter. :eek: :p

It's long enough to capture the attention, though...

Steffee
Oh, so it's one of those... have you read Pnin, Gem?

Not yet Steffee, I only bought it the other day, along with a 'few' others by Nabokov.

Anyway, I will definitely pick this up and read all about his wives. I love how Nabokov's characters always make disastrous choices in women

According to my bookseller fella this is a must read, simply because it is Nabokovs last published novel and is about a Russian emigre who just so happens to be a novelist, poet & critic. Although he did also say that about every Nabokov book that he was ringing up on the till without even asking whether I wanted them.:D I told him that perhaps he should come online and meet the Nabokovians.

Oh, but if you think that's a long sentence, you should try Marcel Proust's Swann's Way or read the final chapter of Ulysses - something like 7 sentences in the whole 30+ page chapter.

:eek: After Finnegans Wake I'm not sure whether i'm brave enough to tackle Joyce again, perhaps if I slept for a couple days non stop beforehand I might just might get through another one.
Proust - I've always wanted to read, but if I don't even know the right pronounciation of the authors name then it's not a great start. I've heard some people pronounce it as 'Proust' and others as 'Proost' :confused:

Gem said:
Not yet Steffee, I only bought it the other day, along with a 'few' others by Nabokov.
lol, that sounds familiar. A couple of weeks ago, I went to Amazon to buy Laughter in the Dark. Ended up forgetting that one but buying seven or eight others. :eek:

Which means, of course, I need to go back. :D

According to my bookseller fella this is a must read, simply because it is Nabokovs last published novel and is about a Russian emigre who just so happens to be a novelist, poet & critic. Although he did also say that about every Nabokov book that he was ringing up on the till without even asking whether I wanted them.:D I told him that perhaps he should come online and meet the Nabokovians.
Oh, he should! Definitely. :D

In that case I will believe him (oh, most certainly) and begin this one today. It's quite a long one, though, if I recall correctly?

:eek: After Finnegans Wake I'm not sure whether i'm brave enough to tackle Joyce again, perhaps if I slept for a couple days non stop beforehand I might just might get through another one.
Jeez, if you've gotten through Finnegans Wake you can get through anything!

Proust - I've always wanted to read, but if I don't even know the right pronounciation of the authors name then it's not a great start. I've heard some people pronounce it as 'Proust' and others as 'Proost' :confused:
I thought it was Proost. No idea. Maybe we should have a poll. ;) But anyway, forget the name, the book is great. :D

Steffee,
Which means, of course, I need to go back.
I bet you come back with another load of books and realise you've forgotton it again?:D

It's quite a long one, though, if I recall correctly?

I have the Penguin one and it comes to just under 200 pages. It looks quite tiny sitting on my desk next to some fatties like Foucaults Pendulum.

Jeez, if you've gotten through Finnegans Wake you can get through anything!

I was visiting my sister in Durham at the time, and it was the only book i had taken with me. Her in-laws were also visiting so it was a choice between death by sly comments or death by boredom. I chose boredom and slept my way through Joyce.

I thought it was Proost. No idea. Maybe we should have a poll. But anyway, forget the name, the book is great.

:D I'll add it to my next round of splurging, though if you're tricking me into reading something horribly hard and tedious then i'll...well i don't know what i'll do ..perhaps just show you this smilie :p maybe?

Gem said:

I've done the hard part and created the thread. All you have to do now is the um..easy discussion/analysis/solving the puzzle bit.:D
Yay hooray Gem!
Congratulations on starting the new thread!
However you can't wriggle out of it that easily! You too will have to share some of the easy work. :D
And now I had really better get on with some serious reading! :eek:
Peder
PS Your PM box is full, the last I checked yesterday.

IMOs

Proost -Yes
Joyce - Yes
Ulysses -Yes
Finnegan's Wake - AAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH
/running for the hills/
Peder

Hello Peder,
However you can't wriggle out of it that easily! You too will have to share some of the easy work.
Well, it was worth a try.:D

And now I had really better get on with some serious reading!
Please do, I look forward to your comments.

PS Your PM box is full, the last I checked yesterday.
Thank you. I've sorted it out now. :)

Gem said:

Boy! Just look what happens when I sleep late!
Ah, but Gem responsibility comes with making the plunge and first post! :) So you'd better look like coming up with lotsa 'splaining on puzzles, imagery, discussion and analysis.
I look forward to your take on the Nabokovian Plot Lines. :D

Now to reading. :eek:

Actually the further I read, the more I am getting to like the book.
It is actually getting to have some downright sweet parts.
/tease, tease/ :rolleyes:

Pontalba
Ah, but Gem responsibility comes with making the plunge and first post! So you'd better look like coming up with lotsa 'splaining on puzzles, imagery, discussion and analysis.
I look forward to your take on the Nabokovian Plot Lines.

Sure Pontalba, I'm preparing a splendid post, which um..unravels all of Nabokovs carefully constructed prose, and reveals the secrets within.:D

*darn, I better rethink the planned 'I loved it cos it was good' post

First Impressions,

Firstly, I can't say how relieved I am that the narrator has a name.:rolleyes:

It's difficult to form any first overall impressions when the words have so grabbed my attention, and I keep saying some of the sentences over and over again. But I'll give it a shot.

Vadim, anyone who starts with "I met the first of my three or four successive wives..." is going to be quite a character. So far I find him to be interesting & engaging. Yet I can't help but feel that there is something deliberately exagerated about him. As the back cover on my book loudly announces Vadim like Nabokov is a Russian emigre, who is a novelist, poet and critic.
So is Nabokov giving us a parody of himself? At this stage i'm thinking along the lines of yes....the novel does have the feel of two stories being told just like Sebastian Knight, and the more I read the more I think i see references to Lolita (i could be mistaken:confused: ) and i'm thinking perhaps there are some references to some of his other works but I can't spot them because i've only read Lolita and S.Knight. Then there is the dual (or what I call the Gemini) aspect in Nabokovs work - there are always doppelgangers/mirror reflections (see i do read the various threads and posts :D ) so i'm thinking Vadim also has to have one. Who better than Nabokov himself? Of course this line of thinking may change as I get closer to finishing the book.

That's enough of my rambling for now, what are everyone elses first impressions?

Gem said:
Pontalba

Sure Pontalba, I'm preparing a splendid post, which um..unravels all of Nabokovs carefully constructed prose, and reveals the secrets within.:D

*darn, I better rethink the planned 'I loved it cos it was good' post

ROTFLOL ! :D

Back later, when I'm more cognizant of my surroundings. :rolleyes:
IOW, when I've read more than 10 pages. :eek:

60 pages more to go, and then I'll have my first go at tryng to get it all in my head for an overall view. But, yes, there is no doubt that it is as laden with teasing references to Nabokov's other works as plum pudding is with raisins.
Peder

Pontalba,
Back later, when I'm more cognizant of my surroundings
:D

Peder,
60 pages more to go, and then I'll have my first go at tryng to get it all in my head for an overall view. But, yes, there is no doubt that it is as laden with teasing references to Nabokov's other works as plum pudding is with raisins.

Thanks Peder, I was worried i was misinterpreting things.

I shall now wait for your posts, if I hadn't always left all my school homework until the last minute, and completed it early instead, then this is what it would have felt like. :D

Gem said:
if I hadn't always left all my school homework until the last minute, and completed it early instead, then this is what it would have felt like. :D
Gem!
Have you indeed finished the book? /drops monocle/ :eek:
Sunday evening was when I always did my homework. I always thought that was normal. :D Now you are going to tell me it's not? :confused:
Peder

Peder,
Have you indeed finished the book? /drops monocle/
Sunday evening was when I always did my homework. I always thought that was normal. Now you are going to tell me it's not?

:D I wouldn't dream of telling you it's not normal.

I have been doing nothing all afternoon, except surfing the net, reading, & calling the office to boss everyone around. It's been a great day.:D

Please don't rush to finish, I insist you take your time and savour the words. :)

Back