• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Vocabulary Test

That was kind of fun :)

RESULT:
Level: Advanced
Time limit: None
Score: 93 of 120
Estimated vocabulary size: 14480

If Netherbard does not mind, here is another vocabulary test from Reader's Digest called Word Power. You must register to play. It's under Games & Humor on the menu bar.

Time Limit: None
Score: 116 of 120
Estimated vocabulary size: 19160

Must be all that "literature" I read! ;)

I am at a loss for words. :eek:

AquaBlue said:
If Netherbard does not mind, here is another vocabulary test from Reader's Digest called Word Power. You must register to play. It's under Games & Humor on the menu bar.
Thank you for that link, AquaBlue!
Any vocabulary-related topic is welcome; other tests that are reliable, tips on how to build vocabulary, recommendations of reference books, etc. :)

Time: None
Score: 91 of 120
Estimated Vocabulary Size: 13520

That was hard. I'd never heard of some of those words in there. :) Halo, you must be a supergenius to get only 4 wrong!

I knew them all well enough to realize that I used to know them all. I began forgetting vocab the day after I took the GRE.

Vespertilio91 said:
Halo, you must be a supergenius to get only 4 wrong!

Vesper, suddenly I like you. :D

Yes, apparently I have a vocabularly of 19,160 words. Unfortunately, 19,000 of them are swear words, but never mind... ;)

Halo said:
Yes, apparently I have a vocabularly of 19,160 words. Unfortunately, 19,000 of them are swear words, but never mind... ;)

I was once asked by a group of foreigners to tell them all the swear words I knew and to demonstrate correct usage by using them in context. A memorable day.

tundra said:
I was once asked by a group of foreigners to tell them all the swear words I knew and to demonstrate correct usage by using them in context. A memorable day.

Really? :D .....

RESULT:
Score: 115 of 120
Estimated vocabulary size: 14215

Not bad, I guess. I second-guessed myself on two of them, and that was my downfall :p

Edit: Oh, whoops, I took the intermediate test instead of advanced. Oh well.

Wow, Halo, you really must be a supergenius to know 19,000 swear words! :eek: :D

I got one less than Halo at advanced. Wasn't gonna say 'cause it seemed too flukey, but if it's good enough for the supergenius... ;)

Jeez Tundra :eek:

I thought some of those were quite wrong. Some were obvious synonyms, but since when is trigger a synonym of gun? Hmmm.

RESULT:
Score: 106 of 120
Estimated vocabulary size: 17180

meh, not bad. I got seven wrong and didn't answer seven. If I had guessed on the ones I skipped, my score could have been a little higher.:rolleyes:

scored 119 out of 120....suprised myself! Forwarded the link to a friend who only reads self-help books (wealth building, etc...) He says reading anything else is a waste of time---poor guy, I actually feel sorry for him...I told him he might end up rich, but he'd be dull and unimaginative. What a dork!!!

steffee said:
I thought some of those were quite wrong. Some were obvious synonyms, but since when is trigger a synonym of gun? Hmmm.

Well, gun was "the word that best associates with the test word," as the directions say.

Intermediate
Score: 115 of 120
Estimated vocabulary size: 14355

I didn't know that "no answer" wasn't counted...I left a few as no answer thinking it was possible that none of the words were a match...if I had known there was definitely an answer for each word, I would have guessed my best guess and scored higher. :p :)

D

Time limit: None
RESULT:
Score: 98 of 120
Estimated vocabulary size: 15480

I second guessed myself on a few and ended getting them wrong

Back