• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Voting: April 2006 Book of the Month

Vote for April 2006's Book

• Port Mungo by Patrick McGrath

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Known World by Edward P. Jones

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Copycat by Gillian White

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates

• Derailed by James Siegel

• A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton

• The Gospel According to Jesus Christ by Jose Saramago

• I, Claudius by Robert Graves

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Gilead by Marilynne Robinson

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

Votes: 12 30.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mehastings

Voting will close March 1, 2006.

Discussion of voting is no longer allowed. Discussion of BOTM voting outside the BOTM forum is not allowed either.

ONE book will be chosen. Ties will be decided according to the rules set forth below:

1) First book nominated will be the winner.
2) In the case that both books were nominated by the same user, in the same post that we will go with the book that has the most seconds.
3) If the tied books have the same number of seconds, we'll go with the first one listed by the user in the nomination post.

** Sorry there are no descriptions this month. I'm not feeling well and just signing on for a sec to get this done. Most of the books have descriptions in the suggestions thread, and all of them can be found online at Amazon.

Hope you're feeling better soon, mehastings. Allow me to do a quick round-up - praise only, you can click the links to read the plot summary :p:

Port Mungo, Patrick McGrath
‘A page-turner of real intelligence ... A master story-teller has done it again’ - Sunday Telegraph
'McGrath can write a love story like no other man alive – dark, a little twisted, very passionate’ - Peter Carey

The Known World, Edward P Jones
'A powerful experience. Rich in character and plot.' - Guardian
'Jones is a tremendously democratic writer, giving voice to villain and hero alike, allowing an impressively complex world to develop.' - Daily Telegraph

Copycat, Gillian White
'A novelist of the highest quality' - Sunday Independent
'Gripping and nervewracking all the way through' - Amazon review

Revolutionary Road, Richard Yates
'The Great Gatsby of our time' - Kurt Vonnegut
'A deft, ironic, beautiful novel that deserves to be a classic' - William Styron

Derailed, James Siegel
'Siegel’s debut novel is a humdinger of an idea, brilliantly told. Narrative, dialogue, tension – he nails them all' - Daily Mirror
'Clever, taut and pacy . . . this is a remarkable debut' - Irish Independent

A Map of the World, Jane Hamilton
'From the first paragraph, this book keeps you mesmerised' - Amazon review
'One wants to read this powerful novel at one sitting' - Publishers' Weekly

The Gospel According to Jesus Christ, Jose Saramago
'You will be enchanted by Saramago's wordy, often unpunctuated style, his wry, ironical tone, and his brilliant weaving of realist and mythical elements' - Amazon review
'Illuminated by ferocious wit, gentle passion and poetry' - Los Angeles Times Book Review

I, Claudius, Robert Graves
'An excellent read, you won't be able to put it down' - Amazon review
'One of the really remarkable books of our day, a novel of learning and imagination, fortunately conceived and brilliantly executed' - New York Times

Gilead, Marilynne Robinson
'A visionary work of dazzling originality' - Robert McCrum
'A great work of literature' - Daily Telegraph

Middlesex, Jeffrey Eugenides
'Expansive and radiantly generous ... a colossal act of curiosity, of imagination and of love' - New York Times
'This year's most sumptuously enjoyable book ... superb' - Sunday Times

Hi there mehastings, sorry you are ill, feel better soon! :)
Thanks Shade, I was beginning to worry.....:eek:

Sorry to take so long to reply. I've been checking in, but I must have missed this. Anyway, thank you guys. I am feeling better for the most part!

Shade - fantastic job there, I think you do the descriptions better than I do. Thank you. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back