• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Want to learn a new word every day.

wilderness

Hey
I, like every writer, am looking to improve my vocabulary.
I have heard about websites that email you every day with a new word and definition.
Do any of you know the websites?

Or perhaps we can start a post where we all post new words and definitions.

Lani

I don't believe in learning words out of context, and I'd think it's of a limited use for a writer. It's a bit like throwing a lot of smart things into the baggage without knowing if you're heading to Africa or to the North Pole. Or to put it differently, if some words aren't a part of one's active vocabulary, they just aren't and it's dressing up to no purpose. Of course, if someone doesn't take it too seriously, it's fun. I do that too, I love flipping through dictionaries - and I don't even write, I'm just a reader. I mean - with a right attitude it's a great idea to learn a new word everyday, really, it's just that I've met people who write correct and clear sentences and then take the thesaurus and translate it into something, well, funny.

Back