• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

War Of The Worlds

Wow. A lot of people seem really pissed off. I will admit point blank that I have never read the book, nor do I have any current desire to do. In fact, I have no desire to do anything but mope around the house for the next several days, seeing that I have just recieved my final exam grades. :eek:.

I did watch both versions of the movie though. And I wasn't very impressed by this one, I must say. I've seen Spielberg do much better (even though I don't really like his style at all). This movie was meant to be nothing more than a crowd-pleaser and eyecandy (in my opinion).

While I didn't scientifically analyze every aspect of the movie, there were some very blatant inconsistencies. There was also the lack of common sense in most of the characters. I haven't read the book, as I have stated, so maybe my review doesn't count. I still didn't find it satisfying.

No, veggie, you stated your opinion very well. I don't think one needs to read the book to be qualified to judge a movie. Whether you like or dislike a movie or a book is a matter of personal taste, and you shouldn't feel the need to defend your point of view from someone who possibly wants to make you think you're wrong.

Even if this was a grade-A film, without plot holes you could drive an 18-wheeler through, I probably still wouldn't like it just because Tom Cruise is in it. I would probably be derided for my inability to have an objective opinion (at least, by those who are Tom Cruise fans, who I think don't have any idea of what makes a good actor. ;) )

veggiedog said:
Wow. A lot of people seem really pissed off. I will admit point blank that I have never read the book, nor do I have any current desire to do.

The book is very different from both films and very good. I liked the first film, but I will never see the new version.

Don't be put off investigating the book because of the films.

Back