• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Watership Down

daveb75

(So, here I am, writing about Watership Down. My goodness, who'd've thought it, eh? ;))

A little heads-up to people: it looks as though the film is to be rereleased in cinemas sometime next year. I only know about a UK release so far - Germany (where WD is apparently huge) is probably the next best bet, with Canada next. No idea about the US - the fact that "Bright Eyes" did so badly there won't help it. I don't know any more than this, yet - if and when I find out, I'll come back and edit this post.

For those who've read the book but not seen the film (which is quite unusual - the other way round is more common), it's really not a bad stab at all at a very hard work to adapt. Some things are moved around a bit, and one or two changes do grate somewhat, but the story still works and - vitally - the cast treat their roles with absolute conviction, which makes all the difference. Particular praise has to go to John Hurt's Hazel, which is magnificently judged - Richard Adams thought he was excellent, and so do I. Provided you understand that you're not going to see either a "fluffy bunnies movie" or a word-for-word version of the novel, it'll be well worth seeing on the big screen.

Cheers,
David.

I love this film, it's probably one of the best book adaptations I have seen. I remember seeing it as a child; I hated the part where the rabbits are geting crushed as the tunnels are filled in, and the horrifying image of the red fields - surprisingly effective for animation.

I guess I'm in the minority about this film, but I didn't like it much.

I recently finished reading the book (which I thought was excellent), so promptly went and got the DVD to watch. I was terribly disappointed! The water colour backdrops were very lovely, but the pacing of the story left a lot to be desired. I almost fell asleep.

It didn't seem to have nearly the urgency of the book and I found the characters, other than Hazel, Bigwig and Woundwort, to be rather lacklustre. I didn't really care about the rabbits in the movie, whereas the book made me want to jump and cheer at every obstacle they overcame.

Maybe I shouldn't have watched the film so soon after reading the book. :(

Back