• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

WE3 - Grant Morrison, Frank Quitely

direstraits

Visceral.

If there is one word to describe this work, that'll probably the one. It is undoubtedly one of the more graphically violent graphic novel I've read in recent memory. I mean, the cover of the graphic novel depicted 3 house pets, for goodnesssakes! The contrast is a deft touch by writer Grant Morrison and artist Frank Quitely.

I have never heard of this work, but I bought it on the strength of the writer, who wrote the strangest, yet compelling, comics I've ever read, The Invisibles, plus the gorgeous artwork of Quitely. I last saw Frank in the pages of The Sandman: Endless Nights by Neil Gaiman, where he drew Destiny's story. Nothing can go wrong there, I'd imagine.

But I wasn't prepared for the action sequences. I sure was lulled into a sense of familiarity and homey-ness with Quitely's artwork of the cute animals, and when the first page of carnage appeared (double page spread, no less), I was totally shocked.

WE3 is a story of 3 house pets, a dog, a cat and a rabbit, abducted from their homes to become part of the US military's newest weapons of destruction. They have been modified with implants and whatnot that heightens their intelligence, killer instincts and even endows them with minimal speech capabilities. On top of all that, they are each outfitted in special armour replete with claws, darts, missiles, bombs and other toys that I'm sure you and I have played with during our lazy summer afternoons.

The story follows the WE3 team after their latest outing. Upon returning to base, they find out that they have been decommissioned and earmarked to be put down, but together they escaped the military facility, in search of something they barely remember known as 'home'. Of course, the government wants to retrieve them before they reach the nearest metropolitan city. So.

It was interesting to see how Morrison actually even gave personalities to each of the animals. And the art. Wow. Not to be read by the squeamish, this one.

On the whole the story's premise is very simple, and quite straight-forward. I did think the idea for the story is interesting - I mean, can you imagine a rabbit causing havoc (we here all know about evil cats can be, don't we, so I don't have to elaborate)? Nothing taxing for the mind. But great fun, and great artwork.

ds

Back