• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Well Guys, I'm Outta Here...

froggerz40

It seemed like such a cool forum when I joined. A good balance of intelligence mixed with fun. I respected certain posters that I could learn interesting things from (you all know who you are...), and put up with egotistical ones ( a couple of posters who insist "repeatedly" that they can withstand abuse and criticism. WHO CARES?!)
So many people with such good taste in literature, films, and music- and THEN to see a three page thread on "farts"? A cool "Happy Birthday" thread, that turns into a discussion of guy's hairy asses? (With pictures?).
Don't think I'm easily offended- I work in a boilershop as a welder :rolleyes: I've heard it all, but so much of this forum comes off like a twelve year old AOL.com chatroom. Funny stories and jokes are great, but line after line of dull chatroom talk, for PAGES, isn't everyone's cup of tea, I guess...You moderators ESPECIALLY, ought to consider all the new members who stick around for awhile, then inauspiciously disappear...
Anyway, best wishes to you all! :)

froggerz40 said:
.It seemed like such a cool forum when I joined. A good balance of intelligence mixed with fun. I respected certain posters that I could learn interesting things from (you all know who you are...), and put up with egotistical ones ( a couple of posters who insist "repeatedly" that they can withstand abuse and criticism. WHO CARES?!)

Agreed.

froggerz40 said:
.... ... asses? (With pictures?).

Felt severely offended, for the first time. the picture was just nauseous. very regret for opening that page.

froggerz40 said:
best wishes to you all! :)

Best wishes to you too.

froggerz40 said:
much of this forum comes off like a twelve year old AOL.com chatroom. Funny stories and jokes are great, but line after line of dull chatroom talk, for PAGES, isn't everyone's cup of tea, I guess...
Froggerz, I understand where you're coming from, but there's a 12 year old in us all. Some people embrace that more, and there's nothing wrong with that. You don't have to participate in those discussions. There are more thought provoking discussions that pop up . Regardless, good luck finding your forum utopia.

I think the answer/solution is to stay away from the general area and just concentrate on the book threads. After all, thats what we are here for :)

Having clicked on froggerz40's name, then clicked on threads he started, it states he started 3. THREE. One was to introduce himself to the forum. Two was on Charlie and The Chocolate Factory in the Film and TV discussion (Non-Book area), and Three was this one.

Now I ask, if he wanted to have intelligent discusion, why did he not try a little harder to have it?

I don't know. People come and go in your life all the time. If you live in a neighborhood, or apartment complex or whatever, people move in and move out on a regular basis. Is it the fault of the complex that people are leaving? No. Some people just like a place, and some people don't. You can't make everybody happy all the time.

I would think it's a shame if a long time, highly active member got huffy and left over some relatively minute thing, but having new people drop in and drop out is not all that alarming is it? It's like a restaurant isn't it. Some will dine here and become loyal customers, some will try a meal or two and decide to go elsewhere. They will complain about the service, or the menu, or whatever, while the others, who are happily feasting away will wonder what's the problem? The bottom line is you can't make a forum where everybody who drops in will remain and be happy. That goes against human nature. We are all different.

Moto, the forum needs all sorts of posters to make the community. People aren't any less worthy just because they've only started a few threads! If one person is genuinely offended, it's my experience that more are, but the rest are just a bit quieter about it. Fair enough you can blame them for not speaking up, but some people just aren't like that! We all know that you aren't afraid to speak the truth, but some people are. Hence why people feel more comfortably speaking through moderators. Speaking for myself, I wouldn't be too keen to take you on in a war of opinions. I'd much rather make a complaint to a mod, rather than risk incurring your incessant posts telling me I'm wrong. :p

There are currently over 3000 members....you have to expect a very, very, very small percent to not be all that thrilled with the place....it's natural.

...and I don't ever recall telling anybody they are wrong...

I just try to keep a conversation going, and bring more into the conversation by not letting it die overnight as many do.

I usually, only pitbull the threads that I start, thus keeping them moving and changing, and growing, and hopefully bringing others into the fray to see what all the fuss is about.

I don't recall ever hi-jacking anybody elses thread. If I've done that I would be more than ready to fess up an "I'm sorry I took over your thread with my non-sence."

It's true that you can only please some of the people some of the time, I've previously ran my own forum & therefore appreciate how completely impossible placating everyone is.

In my opinion, one of the things which attracts me to forums is the diversity & choice given over which parts of the on-line community you want to mix with. Maybe some areas will seem unsuitable, but then there's normally plenty of others to keep most people more than occupied.

Most of us want a laugh from time to time, yet some want to mainly be serious, who's to say that both can't be acheived in the same forum?

Live & let live, that's what I say.

Back