• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Well, here it is

That is quite cool....and I'm sure way out of my price range (even if I did live in Japan). It would mean the end to bathtub reading, though...

Nah. I put my ebookman in a ziplock baggie and read away in bathtub or hottub. No problems.

Not kidding. You can see right through the plastic, and it doesn't get wet. Those hottubs can bubble something fierce. And if you accidentally drop the thing, it's protected. Drop a paperback in the tubbie and you're well, soaked. :D

Jenna said:
Not kidding. You can see right through the plastic, and it doesn't get wet. Those hottubs can bubble something fierce. And if you accidentally drop the thing, it's protected. Drop a paperback in the tubbie and you're well, soaked. :D
That happened to me...I was reading and my cat jumped on me, which I wasn't expecting, and I dropped my book.

Wow!

That thing is cool! *Fights back the gadget lust...* :cool:

It amazes me how many gadgets are only released in Japan, but not the US. Tons of cool gizmos. Hopefully that thing will eventually make it over here, as well as drop in price.

This reminds me, does anyone besides me ever use small handheld computers to write with? I recently bought an older HP Jornada 680 from this place: http://www.usedhandhelds.com/store/asp/prodtype.asp?prodtype=28

It cost me only $179 for a perfect little mini-laptop (slightly smaller than a VHS tape) I can take with me everywhere. I do quite a bit of writing with it in on the go situations when I can't really take a full sized laptop with me. (Example: Recently I had jury duty, and wrote several chapters of a current book during the lengthy recesses without lugging a cumbersome laptop around the court.)
It’s small enough to carry in my pocket, yet large enough to write with. The keyboards on these little things take a little getting used to, but once you do they are actually quite useable, -some are up to 90% the size of a full keyboard. I’ve tried writing with the little chicklet thumb-pads on even smaller devices like the handheld Sony Clie, but that was too insanely small. (Plus they cost a small fortune).

The touch screens make me wish full sized computers had them- excellent way of navigating for writing. When closed, it has a built in voice recorder with the mic and record and playback buttons outside, so I can dictate with it as well. It's a perfect little portable production machine that increases my output without setting me back a fortune- I lust after any gadget that can do that.

Works nicely as a pocket e-book reader too. (I use the free version of Mobipocket Reader).

Just incase any folks here are like me and need pocket writing tools as well as reading tools, just thought I'd mention it. UsedHandhelds is a great resource, and you can find used handhelds on ebay and The Recycler and such too.

Several of the women at the Romance writers book group like this:

Alphasmart

The advantage is that the battery life is several hours rather than a laptop, which has 4 max.

One woman also said that it was perfect for 1st drafts as it is more difficult to edit (you usually do that after transferring the info to a computer) so she didn't get caught up in over-editing at the beginning.

A number of writers on my lists use the Jornada. I think it's a great idea. I like to write outside in the garden, but my handwriting has deterioted over the years. I would love to have a little Jornada for that! Oh and the word on the reader - it WILL be available in the US. They're just keeping mum on the distributor for now. And it's supposed to be priced UNDER $100!! Wahoo!! :D

Back