• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What are some good books or magazines to send to someone who is in jail?

my mother is currently in jail the next six months for a financial crime and I am her 14 year old daughter. I might get flack for supporting a criminal but you know since her crime wasn't against me I guess it is OK to support her in this way. I was wondering what are some good books or magazines to send to an inmate, I honestly don't read much and I was thinking maybe there were some good specific books you can send to an inmate

The types not allowed are things inciting racial hatred, rioting, making drugs, violence or escaping from jail but that's nothing to worry about she would never read that kind of stuff anyway

main thing I wonder if there are some good specific books or magazines for someone in jail. And also maybe what kind of books or magazines would not be a good idea

Ask her what she likes and check with the jail to make sure it is allowed. If she doesn't have any specific requests perhaps
she can let you know some genres she likes and we can make suggestions from there.

My mom hasn't read a book for entertainment in a long time. It seems romantic or dramatic type books seem to be the ones she would like the most though she might be open to other things that are good. I only read a few books so I am not sure about books targeted toward older audiences or if they match the guidelines or not. There may even be some good specific books for someone in jail to read

Last edited:
A fantastic historical romance series is Diana Gabladon's Outlander. It has drama, romance, history, time travel and a compelling story line.

Series are good; the Outlander books would be a good call, or either of Jim Butcher's collections (The Dresden Files and the Codex Alera) if she likes sci-fi/fantasy at all.
I used to work at a Borders and we would send items to the local prison for people a lot; they would tell me often that the key thing was trying to keep their friends/relatives from getting too bored - so getting started on a series would probably work best. Dean Koontz was a really popular seller for us; general self-help and education books were too. Elizabeth Berg, A. Manette Ansay, Jodi Picoult and Anita Shreve are pretty accessible drama writers.
As far as magazines, any entertainment or general interest mag would probably be okay; the main thing to keep in mind is they'll be screening everything.

The Bible.

Just kidding. I am sure there are plenty of bibles there if she decides to discover Jesus.

A mixture of fiction and non-fiction might be nice.

For non-fiction, it's hard to wrong with anything Bill Bryson and Anthony Bourdain has written.

The suggestion for series was a good one.

Magazines. How about game and puzzle magazines?

Well, how about the Warrior series. It's about cats who live, and yes fight, but they aren't really that violent. Or maybe anything by Jules Verne.

Sent from my iPad using Book And Reader

Back