• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

what are some good english grammar books?

huxley

i'm looking for a english grammar book that would have all the rules in it ,and good explanations, and alot of good grammar exercises.

i find i need to practice it alot so it can be carved in my head. any suggestions on a well rounded grammar book?:)

huxley said:
i'm looking for a english grammar book that would have all the rules in it ,and good explanations, and alot of good grammar exercises.

i find i need to practice it alot so it can be carved in my head. any suggestions on a well rounded grammar book?:)
I think you'll find that practice is the best way. For every grammar rule there is an exception. Read, read, read and write, write, write!

Es-tu acadien?

oui je suis acadien ,de moncton,un LeBlanc, pas beaucoup de gens savont quoi quest un acadien , toi comment tu sais apropaux des acadien? (j'ai vraiment perdu a ecrire en francais)

thanks for the help.

lmao.

i would recommend, E.B. White's (the author of stuart little, and charlotte web) The Fifth Element of Style.

During the Summer of 1967, I read every page of House and Harman's Descriptive English Grammar, and diagrammed every example sentence. I think it was a 400 pages long. It was hard cover. I don't know if it is still in print. Perhaps I shall google now, out of curiosity.

Yes, I see it referenced

http://www.classicalco-op.com/co_op_new/ce_tiki/tiki-index.php?page=Grammar

http://www.dlib.org/dlib/october00/baker/10baker.html

[House and Harman 1950] Homer C. House and Susan Emolyn Harman, Descriptive English Grammar, Second Edition, Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall, Inc.

If you should search for this title in the search engines, then it is very likely that any page which references it is a hot-bed of grammarians.

Also check out on-line instruction:

http://www.geocities.com/gene_moutoux/diagrams.htm

huxley said:
oui je suis acadien ,de moncton,un LeBlanc, pas beaucoup de gens savont quoi quest un acadien , toi comment tu sais apropaux des acadien? (j'ai vraiment perdu a ecrire en francais)
Ah, bonne! J'ai habite en la maritimes pour quartre ans. J'ai beaucoup amis de Moncton. Bouctouche et un de mes endroits préférés! (Desolee pour mon francais et tres pauvres, mais j'essaie!)

Bienvenue a TBF!

"English Grammer in Use" is one of the best grammer books I've ever used. Also I can recommend "Living English Structure" but I'm not sure whether it is still on the market.

Good luck !

Kookamoor said:
Ah, bonne! J'ai habite en la maritimes pour quartre ans. J'ai beaucoup amis de Moncton. Bouctouche et un de mes endroits préférés! (Desolee pour mon francais et tres pauvres, mais j'essaie!)

Bienvenue a TBF!

Neat. I'm from Amherst originally. I went to university in Sackville. I don't feel confident communicating in French, though, since I come from the English side of the Tantramar marsh. I'm very familiar with Moncton.

Back