• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What Are you reading

Just something to start us all out. What is everyone reading these days? I am reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman. So far it is very good. Next, I will be reading Silent Prey by John Sanford.

Mike

I've just finished "I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson and plan to start "Away" by Jane Urquhart this weekend.

Also reading:

"The Right Stuff" by Tom Wolfe (about the first 7 Mercury astronauts with NASA)

"Rule by Secrecy" by Jim Marrs (about conspiracy theories and secret societies)

"In Exile for the Land of Snows" by John Avedon (the life of the Dalai Lama and his exile from Tibet)

I Am Legend

It wasn't quite what I expected, but very good, nonetheless. "I Am Legend" is actually a novella, taking up about half the book and another 10 short stories that make up the rest of the book. (I didn't know this to start - the book was given to me as a gift.)

However, the short stories are every bit as good as the title story - some are actually creepier and scarier.

Very easy to get into and a quick read. I think you'll really like it.

Ell

I just finished reading "Northanger Abbey" by Jane Austen and "My Antonia" by Willa Cather. I will now be starting "The Tempest" by William Shakespeare.

(Hello everyone! I have never used vBullitin before. Hopefully I am doing this right and will figure out how to work everything :) !)

BTW, it is AnnaACA from The Dusty Shelf. I changed my user name to the one I use at my board. Anyway, just thought I'd let you know that it is me!

Hi Anna, glad you were able to make the move across. If you've got any questions on using the software, just ask in our feedback forum.

Darren.

Shadowrun

Am just now reading the books about Shadowrun. Just beginning book #40 :cool:

Take a look at a sample:
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0451457374

This serie is about the world in the 2050's and 2060's. Dracos are awake and the magic mana is rising. There are demons and other creatures. People can buy modifications for their bodys ... it is quit fascinating, some of the technologys described in the books are on the edge to be developed right now in our time.

/Holger

I'm in a rather "slow" reading period right now, cause I don't really have the time right now to be reading for my own pleasure (I know, what have I got to live for if it's not reading? ;)).

I am reading Dante Alighieri's Inferno though (the first part of La Divina Commedia), but that's mainly because I have to...

I'm having a bit of a slow reading period too. I've got a lot on at the moment, and I've been modifying the forum and website quite a lot recently.

I finally decided that I should read Harry Potter. I think I must be one of the last people on the planet who has not read it.

So I just started Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone last night.

Potter

Don't worry Darren,

There are still some of THEM, I haven't read the books either ...

The movie was great! But I felt a little bit angry about the ending ...

:rolleyes:

I would have to agree with that... In fact, I don't think I know anyone that has read the books, and only a couple that have seen the movie.

Is the book good though, Darren? I think after Dante I might want to read something more "lightharted", so maybe the Potter books will be my kind of thing?

Darren,

As you can see: We need that Marketplace! :D

Until that, you can use the Marketplace in my forum (sorry for that advertising about my site, Darren!). :cool:

:D

REading

Harry Potter is a great quick read. I have read all four and am (not so) patiently awaiting the fifth. Read the books, they tell a good story and they will cleanse the palatte for heavier reading. Right now I have started The 2nd Half of the Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe. The first volume was good but slow going. If possible, the second seems better but slower going.

Mike

Hemingway

Anna,

Let us know what you think of Hemingway's short stories. Are you reading "The Snows of Kilimanjaro and other stories"?

I popped over to your board to read what you thought of "The Sun Also Rises". I agree with you - he's not my favourite writer either. I find his macho posturing and angst doesn't do it for me. Though I did enjoy Snows of Kilimanjaro better.

:) Yep, that is the book I am reading! So far I have only read "The Snows of Kilimanjaro", which I did enjoy slightly more than "The Sun Also Rises".

Hemingway is definitely not one of my favorite authors! Several people recommended his short stories, so I thought that I would at least give them a try. I will let you know what I think of the rest of the stories when I get them read.

I just started reading "The Rainbow" by D.H. Lawrence. So far I am really enjoying it! I really love D.H. Lawrence:) !

Currently I am slowly reading The Poisonwood Bible. I am enjoying it. Quite a suprise for me. I have stayed away from Books from the Oprah Book club as I thought the books were not going to be something that I would enjoy. This is my first look at one of these books. So far so good.

Mike

I just started Hannibal by Tom Harris. I have read all of the others in this series, but so far my favorite was the first........The Red Dragon. Hard to believe, but Harris actually had me feeling sorry for The Dragon by the end of that book. I saw the Anthony Hopkins movie version of Hannibal and I want to see how much it differs from the novel as well. The movie versions usually differ substantially from the novels.

Chris

Just started Crime and Punishment by Dostojewski. Don't think I like the style of the guy who translated it into Dutch, but well...

Back