• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What Are you reading

Originally posted by SilveryChris
I saw the Anthony Hopkins movie version of Hannibal and I want to see how much it differs from the novel as well. The movie versions usually differ substantially from the novels.

Chris
True enough, and I find that the old maxim of "good book = bad film, bad book = good film" applies less than 50% of the time.

As for Hannibal, it was reported that producer Dino DeLaurentiis, eager to get the sequel under way, was hanging over Harris's shoulder developing the script as the novel was written. Logic and practicality suggest that the adaptation is therefore pretty faithful.

The book's plot dynamic, and corresponding "development" of the characters from Silence didn't sit well with me - nor did they with Jodie Foster or Jonathan Demme, who both refused to do the film. Sexual undercurrents aside (for they were the main cause of dispute, I gather), I'm not averse to a bit of on-screen violence. But towards the film's end it seemed to get gruesome just for the sake of it. It was mostly unjustifiable, which made it even more sick. I can't think of many other films - even bad films - that I'd write that about.

Got to agree with you re: Red Dragon. Definitely ahead of its time when it was first published. And the character of Lecter was a really bold step on from literary precedents like Mr Hyde and Dracula, with whom it seems fair to draw parrallels.

originally posted by lies
Just started Crime and Punishment by Dostojewski. Don't think I like the style of the guy who translated it into Dutch, but well...
Funny how much difference a tranlator can make, eh? Theirs is a thankless task usually, though. If they do a good job, we say the author is brilliant. But if we don't get on with the book (for whatever reason), we say it could be their fault. Having written that, I will add that I read a lot of translated Japanese novels, and if I hadn't read EG Seidensticker's vibrant rendering of Kawabata Yasunari's Snow Country as well as J Martin Holman's plodding go at The Old Capital then I'd still be wondering how on Earth Kawabata won - or was even considered for - the Nobel Prize.

It's things like this that make me regret that I can't read more languages. At least you've got the jump on me there, old fruit.

Tobytook

Originally posted by Tobytook
It's things like this that make me regret that I can't read more languages. At least you've got the jump on me there, old fruit.
What is keeping you? It's never too late to start learning other languages they say... I still feel bad about giving up on Spanish; not having enough time is a bad excuse, right? ;)

Reading other languages

Good point, I suppose. If I really wanted to do it, I'd apply myself and make time. It's weird because I really like talking in foreign languages, learning new words and expressions. Maybe that's directly linked to my passion for travelling, though.

Thing is, the really off-putting aspect of reading (rather than just speaking) another language is that books don't tolerate a great margin of error. It's not as though you can ask a written sentence to clarify itself or express its meaning in simpler terms. You either get it or you don't, so your reading level wants to be pretty high or it's dead ahead to Frustration City.

In a way, it depends on what you want out of your reading experience. For me it's often about connecting on an emotional as well as intellectual level. If I'm chatting to someone in a foreign language, there can be lots of confusion and misunderstandings but - as long as it doesn't lead to knives out! - things tend to work out in the end. The communication, including body language, tone, pitch, etc, goes both ways.

I'm not saying that books (especially fiction) don't emote, nor that they don't invite personal interpretation, but... well, Paragraph Two above, op cit :eek:

Tobytook

Well, obviously I don't know about you, but whenever I don't feel "comfortable" with a language, I start by reading children's books in that particular language; maybe because the story doesn't take that much out of you and you can concentrate on the language? I don't know. Fact is that it feels like you kind of go through the same process you did as a kid when you were learning your mother tongue.

But if you're able to communicate in foreign languages, why should reading be any different? I understand that you miss out on some things in the book (how much depends on what kind of book you're reading), but isn't that part of learning a language? Allowing yourself to make mistakes and not understand what someone (or something) is trying to tell you?

Originally posted by lies
... if you're able to communicate in foreign languages, why should reading be any different? I understand that you miss out on some things in the book (how much depends on what kind of book you're reading), but isn't that part of learning a language? Allowing yourself to make mistakes and not understand what someone (or something) is trying to tell you?
I think I addressed this part of your reply in my previous post:
Originally posted by, well, me
It's not as though you can ask a written sentence to clarify itself or express its meaning in simpler terms. You either get it or you don't, so your reading level wants to be pretty high or it's dead ahead to Frustration City.
In a way, it depends on what you want out of your reading experience. For me it's often about connecting on an emotional as well as intellectual level.
But anyway, as to your other point:
I start by reading children's books in that particular language; maybe because the story doesn't take that much out of you and you can concentrate on the language?
You're quite right, lies, but from a purely selfish point of view I don't really want to sit and read See Spot Run in any language. To be honest, my lament was made very much in an attitude of "I want instant access", which is wholly unrealistic. I've backed myself into something of a corner now, as I've either got to do as you sensibly suggest or admit that I really can't be bothered.

I'll make a stab at defending the latter option, though:

If there's a non-English language story that grabs me - something I've experienced in translation, or perhaps an advert or synopsis I've read - then I'll have my aforementioned regret. However, the time and effort necessary to learn the original language just to enable me to read that one book would not, I feel, be justified. We're coming at it from different angles. I'm focusing on the book (result), whereas you're concentrating on the language (method).

I know, I know - if I'm not prepared to boil the water, I shouldn't complain that there's no tea in the cup :eek:

Tobytook

I think I addressed this part of your reply in my previous post:
Yes, I know. But if there aren't two points of view, then there's not really a possibility to discuss, right? I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

What I'm Reading

Fiction:
Stephen King, The Stand

Myth:
The Shah-nama of Ferdowsi

Nonfiction:
Archie Brown, The Gorbachev Factor
Mikhail Gorbachev, Memoirs
Solomon Schechter, Aspects of Rabbinic Theology

Cheers,

I just finished The Body Artist by Don DeLillo.

Am now just a few pages into A Recipe For Bees by Gail Anderson-Dargatz

Conflicting priorities

Originally posted by lies
Yes, I know. But if there aren't two points of view, then there's not really a possibility to discuss, right? I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
I'm not sure it's a matter or agreeing or disagreeing. It's not that our opinions are differing so much as we're basically talking at :confused: cross purposes. We're coming at this from opposite ends - I'm focused on the specific contextual result of (fully) appreciating a book written in another language, and you're looking at the bigger picture of exploring that language for its own sake. It's our motivations that are at variance, seemingly.

Tobytook

Originally posted by savage_henry
Currently I am slowly reading The Poisonwood Bible. I am enjoying it. Quite a suprise for me. I have stayed away from Books from the Oprah Book club as I thought the books were not going to be something that I would enjoy. This is my first look at one of these books. So far so good.

Mike
well, if you like literature... most of her books on her book club list have been VERY good! the only one's i refuse to read are the toni morrison one's. as an author, her opinion is that you need to read a book many times to fully understand it, and "get" it all.... i have no interest in reading books 3/4/5/6 times to understand them.

Originally posted by TownBear_Laura
well, if you like literature... most of her books on her book club list have been VERY good! the only one's i refuse to read are the toni morrison one's. as an author, her opinion is that you need to read a book many times to fully understand it, and "get" it all....

That's her lit professor background talking; I've never read anything by Toni Morrison that didn't make perfectly good sense on a first read.

Cheers,

i've read one of her books. i did understand it, but i did not enjoy it and will never read another one of her books :)

different strokes for different folks ... as they say

Re: Conflicting priorities

I'm not sure it's a matter or agreeing or disagreeing. It's not that our opinions are differing so much as we're basically talking at :confused: cross purposes. We're coming at this from opposite ends - I'm focused on the specific contextual result of (fully) appreciating a book written in another language, and you're looking at the bigger picture of exploring that language for its own sake. It's our motivations that are at variance, seemingly.
I think I'm gonna go read the cobuild before posting again; my choice of word isn't all that apparently...

You're right, I'm not worthy :rolleyes: ;)

Worthy! Worthy!

Lies,

Hey, if we were doing this in your native language, I'd be totally lost from square one. We've just had a blip on the line, that's all.

Don't worry, you're still much cooler than me ;)

Tobytook

Thanks for trying to make me feel better about it... I hope this will help me stop from crying myself to sleep every night ;)

just read of mice and men

I've finished reading of mice and men by john steinbeck yesturday and i have got to say it had more emotional depth and power than any book or movie i've ever encountered. The relationship between the two main characters is so touching and i genuinely cried at the tragic ending. i swear, to all the people who think terms of endearment is a sad cry movie *its not, by the way...it takes more than sappy goodbye music and messy emotional outbursts to get me crying* i hope you will all try reading it because its really a beautiful book and it's great for those who like the story to be short and fast paced (only 107 pages in my book) -B

anyone interested in WWII and computers looking for a doorstop size book should give Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon a shot. Very interesting book about Code breaking and the birth of computers. Just about finished it. Word of warning: it is 900+ dense pages.

Mike

Back