• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What book should i read?

ad8m

I am 39 in Jan but have only ever read one proper book. Proper being like one with lots of pages (excluding text books, magazines, tv guides etc). I still remember- It was Creeps by Tim Scotch- i was about 12. Anyway I have decided it must be my new years resolution to correct this just in case i'm missing out. I have heard some people say books can be better than films. I like films. I have tried a couple of times before to read another book but always felt like it was work rather that play.. I read the first 2-3 pages but am soo bored i forget the whole page content by the time i get to the bottom and then have to start again.. repeat that process a couple of time and then give in. I am prepared to try harder but don't want to waste hours reading like ten pages just to find out its rubbish. So my question is what would be the book equivalent to say the the shawshank redemption, or rocky IV, or Snatch. And is their a book/s i should really read that would like be beneficial in making me a better person /expanding my knowledge.

A book that certainly expanded my knowledge was "It's Kind of a Funny Story", by Ned Vizzini. The writing was a bit... simplistic, for lack of a better word. It certainly gave me a lot to mull over though.

My recommendations based on your post:

The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy
Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy (not made into a movie but it is fast-paced and as a child of the Cold War you might find it interesting)
Stardust by Neil Gaiman
Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk (the ending is different than the movie)
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (not made into a movie, but it is a fast-paced action story)
Armor by John Steakley (not made into a movie, but it is a fast-paced action story)

The Shawshank Redemption was originally a novel: Different Seasons by Stephen King

Anyhoo, hope those are helpful.

If you're a Steven King fan, try The Green Mile. The movie was fantastic, but the book is a treat, absolutely loved it.

Or a good book called "Awaiting the Golde Age" :) an intresting philosophical and spiritual read:)

Back