• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What books appeal to men and are there enough new titles that appeal to them?

pooh_bah

Hi everyone,

What types of books do most men prefer to read?

I’m asking because there’s been some debate about whether most best sellers / new titles consider male audiences or whether, since women in the UK apparently buy more books, most books are marketed to women.
Do you think there are a lot of new titles that make the best seller lists (here and overseas) which are aimed at men or books that both men and women can appreciate in equal measure?
I’m not suggesting that there aren’t books out there that men can appreciate, however I wonder if the new titles reviewed and promoted in bookshops, newspapers and TV are written for a specific audience.

Are there any writers / styles / themes / books that men seem to prefer? Reasons would be great.

Any replies will be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

pooh_bah

One of the male dominant books in the last few years, commercially speaking, are the Jack Ryan novels by Tom Clancy. Those books were created for the male audience. Now on the other hand, females tend to enjoy reading the Jean M. Auel novels about Ayla (heroine) who overcomes her worldy trials with her love Jondalar. Normally I would stray from such books because romance related novels do not appeal to me. But I enjoy the adventure of the Auel books and am a big fan of her series. So there you have it. :D

I think there are plenty of new books out that appeal to men and are marketed to them specifically. When I walk into Barned & Noble I often browse the stands by the door with the new hardcovers on them. I think there are plenty there that are geared directly toward men. I personally believe that a truly good book should be readable by both men and women. I guess my feelings are that in general, authors who have to gear their books toward a specific audience don't have the same level of talent as authors who simply write their stories without needing to worry about the audience.

Back