• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you do when you have multiple ideas simultaneously?

RDC8492

If you are currently writing a story and some new inspiration pops into your mind, do you get sidetracked? How do you stay focused? I have literally cd's full of partially written books. lol I will be knee deep into one and a new idea hit me.

When that happens to you, do you finish the current one before starting anything new or do you run with it while the idea is fresh?

I make outlines for my novels before I begin writing them and continue to update them as I write. I usually have one or two outlines on the go while I am writing another story. Any flash ideas I write down but usually do not do anything with until I finish a novel. My outlines have a lot of information about all main (appearance, personality, strengths and weaknesses, etc) and secondary characters, the names of all other needed figures, major plot points per chapter, reason for characters to do what they do, what growth I want the characters to have by the end of the novel.
When you are working on one novel and ideas pop into your head for something else write it in the outline but go back to what you are primarily working on. You have to force yourself to finish something so that you know what it feels like. Talk to people you know if you become stuck for what to write or put in something ridiculous, just force yourself to complete the story. Hope this helps, best of luck.

I make outlines for my novels before I begin writing them and continue to update them as I write. I usually have one or two outlines on the go while I am writing another story. Any flash ideas I write down but usually do not do anything with until I finish a novel. My outlines have a lot of information about all main (appearance, personality, strengths and weaknesses, etc) and secondary characters, the names of all other needed figures, major plot points per chapter, reason for characters to do what they do, what growth I want the characters to have by the end of the novel.
When you are working on one novel and ideas pop into your head for something else write it in the outline but go back to what you are primarily working on. You have to force yourself to finish something so that you know what it feels like. Talk to people you know if you become stuck for what to write or put in something ridiculous, just force yourself to complete the story. Hope this helps, best of luck.

How many books have you written? If so; Have they been published yet?

Adapt them to fit the work you are engaged upon, easy if the subject matter is Science Fiction.
Not much point in having many unfinished pieces, far better to complete one project before starting another.

I will write the new ideas down and develop them as I go along, but stay primary with the current project. But I have gotten sidetracked twice, and ended up writing two books before finishing the project that was "next" on my list.

The good thing was that I completed two projects because my outlines and organization got ot the point where I could complete those projects before the current project.

The bad thing is that I've lost focus with what I was originally working on. And I'm finding it difficult to get back on track.

However, I agree with both K.S. and */* - A good rule of thumb is to finish the current project while developing future ideas and it is better to have one complete project than several uncompleted ones.

Helpful, do any of you seasoned writers have more good tips for beginners like me?

How many books have you written?
I'm curious, do you have a degree in journalism, or writing of some sort?
I'm assuming you do. I assume everyone who has written a book is educated.

Hope I'm not being rude, just curious of how many writers there are that don't have degrees and made a fairly successful book.. :(

I've read several books that were complete trash and yet they seemed to have published their book(s) and made decent money. I'm wondering if anyone can write a book? Is everyone eating it up?

How many books have you written?
I'm curious, do you have a degree in journalism, or writing of some sort?
I'm assuming you do. I assume everyone who has written a book is educated.

Hope I'm not being rude, just curious of how many writers there are that don't have degrees and made a fairly successful book.. :(

I've read several books that were complete trash and yet they seemed to have published their book(s) and made decent money. I'm wondering if anyone can write a book? Is everyone eating it up?
Just starting with my first book. Like language and have no special degree. Anyone can write a book I think, if your languages skills are okay and you have fantasy. The woman who wrote Harry Potter was just a housewife who was bored :) See where it got her. And if you write a book that is real bad you will find out sooner or later i guess...

Just starting with my first book. Like language and have no special degree. Anyone can write a book I think, if your languages skills are okay and you have fantasy. The woman who wrote Harry Potter was just a housewife who was bored :) See where it got her. And if you write a book that is real bad you will find out sooner or later i guess...
What annoys me a lot is all the books I read lately of very popular writers and are still full of spelling mistakes. I am now reading some K. Slaughter and the editing is real bad.

I make a note of the idea. I then get really anxious to start working on it, so I sometimes try to adapt at least part of the idea into what I am currently working on. That way, I can see if it holds up at all. Even if it doesn't, I still have the idea for a future story I want to write.

A different take on this same scenario is that I get ideas for later on in the novel I'm working on. I write it down and try to expand on it as much as I can in a sitting or two so that after I do that, I at least have an excerpt, chapter, or other piece of writing that can be injected where it fits best once I get to a specific point in the storytelling.

In one of my better efforts at short story writing I sort of wound up with a slightly clunky climax as a result of trying to combine two ideas rather than sacrificing one ... BUT I LIKED THEM BOTH DAMMIT !!! *LOL*

I got pretty good peer reviews from other posters but this still bugs me like an itch I can't reach because it was never resolved. I may rewrite it a bit someday though it has been my custom never to rewrite a piece once it has been completed and read by others.

If you'd like to read it to judge for yourself you can find it at the link below. The part I am talking about is the action that takes place just before the epilogue.

The Wisdom Of Herr Hoffmann
http://www.online-literature.com/fo...isdom-Of-Herr-Hoffmann-(A-story-in-two-parts)

Thanks, DATo. Not only did I get to read your well-written, enjoyable story, I found another writing forum to join. Thanks.

When I'm working on projects, I often get sidetracked. But it's as if my psyche knows what's good for me, I usually come across some gem that I can use in my WIP. If not, I dash off a note or do a quick draft of a first chapter, then return to task.

Back